1984 720 Torsion Bars 2WD vs 4WD & What is "MAXIMUM" Re-indexing?

bluexl

Hey everyone, I was wondering if the 2WD and 4WD torsion bars were interchangeable on 1984 720s.

This link is for a 2WD torsion bar, but in the "What this fits" section it also lists the 4WD.

This is the torsion bar that I am REALLY interested in, but not sure if it would fit our 1984 720 2WD Nissan Sunrader: https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18915108-720-torsion-bars.html

I installed these ball joint spacers and it says that it requires "Maximum re-indexing," so what exactly does that mean? I have them pretty tight now, and I have taken it to be aligned, but it still has some positive camber. The torsion is not cranked all the way, so I wonder if "maximum re-indexing" means that I tighten till the camber is gone.

Don't know how visible the camber is based on the photos below, but wanted to include them.

Thanks!

20210528_090219 20210528_091620 20210528_090233

Edited by bluexl
I forgot to include hyperlink.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2wd and 4wd torsion bars are different.

Indexing the torsion bar is removing it from it's present position in the lower control arm and moving it one or more splines and putting it back together. In the new position you will have more adjustment range for lifting (or lowering) the ride height.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

2wd and 4wd torsion bars are different.

Indexing the torsion bar is removing it from it's present position in the lower control arm and moving it one or more splines and putting it back together. In the new position you will have more adjustment range for lifting (or lowering) the ride height.

I was able to reindex following the advice on a couple of posts on here.

This one: 

https://ratsun.net/topic/66249-lifting-the-front-end/

And this one:

https://ratsun.net/topic/78876-720-ball-joint-spacer-and-torsion-bar-reindex/

I moved the torsion bar 2 splines on each side as the single spline was tightened A LOT, but still had a significant amount of positive camber. So I went with 2 splines and it still has some positive camber, but not crazy, just not sure how much can be seen in the photos. I can still tighten the adjustment bolts, so I was just wondering what "maximum" might mean. I can definitely tighten it more though. But thought it rides fine on streets and highways, the guy at the allignment shop told me that the suspension was "non existent" like it didnt have any bounce. It is rough off road, but I mean, its off road, so I thought it was understandable.

So, my two needs of advice are:

1. Should I look into upgrading my torsion bars to see if it helps with the "non existant" suspension? (What options are out there for 2WD?)

2. Is it ok to crank the torsion bars (tighten the adjustment) as much as it will go to completely fix the positive camber?

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Like 1

Rides like shit when you crank the bars and remove all the down travel. See how much room you have between upper A arm and the bump stop that prevents the suspension from going down any further. If they are close they are going to slam together over bumps. This is a long shot but I believe many years ago there was a lift kit for 2wd the used a different spindle and it didn't screw with factory geometry. I am rolling NLA Jim Conmers upper A arms.

• Like 1