flywheel/ pressure plate ident.

SHADY280

so i got this aluminum flywheel for 100 bux from a guy locally, its gears match up to my z's starter ring (good start) the center bolt holes line up, the clutch disc line up and are the same size. thats whats all good, now the wrong part. the pressure plate doesnt line up, its too big for the flywheel mounting surface. it tapers off to make it lighter i assume? the pp is like 1/4 too big. what kind of pp is just a bit smaller for a datsun. application is 280zx n/a

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew some thing like this was going to happen. All nissans have mostly the same bolt pattern on there flywheels. I think he used the 240sx aluminum flywheel? I have one for a turbo z on my l20b that I am using currently that works for sale if interested.

buy chance you have a old 510 pressure plate?

if yes then the holes line up then its a 200mm.

a 225mm pressureplate the holes/dowel pins will be farther out compared to a 200mm.

as for the 240 I assume its even bigger but OAL these are all the same and will bolt on a 6bolt crank

if its a 200mm have Byron510 on the REALM buy it from you for 100 then Ill pay him to get it later

aluminum 200mm 5bolt on left of front covers

chromexfrontcocover_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

well heres how i could tell. i have my stock steel flywheel and clutch out (spare from another car) it is also a 280zx. i took that clutch and layed it down on the al. flywheel and the disc lined up the same as the 280zx flywheel, but the pp didnt. leaving me with a centerforce dual friction that is gonna not work. id rather the proper flywheel so i can use the clutch i spent 323 dollars for!! id sell it for 100 to anyone providing i can get a 225mm al flywheel. everything about this one is correct except the outer size of it. im gonna guess and say its a 200mm, but i havent measured it yet. ill get some pix here soon. motivated i may take you up on that offer, how much (hides behind wallet) dont forget im a ratsun owner, heck ill trade ya a steel flywheel and this one for yours.

BTW! I bought this aluminum flywheel from Mcleod a while back in a discount price "overstock". Got the last one! They also still have some reduced weight steel l16-l18 flywheels for sale for like 50 buxs! I was gonna buy one but I dont need one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flywheel-Steel-Nissan-1600cc-5-bolt-Mcleod-Ind_W0QQitemZ110174539110QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110174539110&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C66%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Measure across the width of the clutch disc. For Datsun it's either 200mm, 225mm, or 240mm. You may have the PP for the next size up. I think some 280's were 240mm but most were 225mm.

The 2+2's were 240mm.

Edited by 72240z
well heres how i could tell. i have my stock steel flywheel and clutch out (spare from another car) it is also a 280zx. i took that clutch and layed it down on the al. flywheel and the disc lined up the same as the 280zx flywheel, but the pp didnt. leaving me with a centerforce dual friction that is gonna not work. id rather the proper flywheel so i can use the clutch i spent 323 dollars for!! id sell it for 100 to anyone providing i can get a 225mm al flywheel. everything about this one is correct except the outer size of it. im gonna guess and say its a 200mm, but i havent measured it yet. ill get some pix here soon. motivated i may take you up on that offer, how much (hides behind wallet) dont forget im a ratsun owner, heck ill trade ya a steel flywheel and this one for yours.

Only way to be sure is with a tape measure! Measure across the clutch disc and also across the round face of the pressure plate. What sizes are they?

yea hthats what i thought, only z to get the larger flywheels, but im not sure, the 2+2 i crushed was an auto tranny, and only have had n/a cars

Hm I see. I have a stocker and a semi light both I believe 225mm. I'll check tom. Shipping is prob a bitch but if you get stuck they are there.

what do you consider semi light tho, mine right now is 10.5 lbs. like something simmilar, im going to be running in gt and need all i can get against some of these turbo porshces

I think its 13.2, little too heavy for you I guess.

I never liked the super lights because it kills tq. I guess its up to the app, if I had all the tq I needed I would go as light as possible but if I needed both, def medium weight.

naw couldnt do that zuum, the actual surface the pp sits on is too small due to a taper that is built into the flywheel. if it was larger yes absolutely. i have 6 cylinders reving to 8500 rpm, it needs to be light to not bend the crank. im also going to 12.5:1 cr. so it really needs to be not flexing that crank!! ill get some pix for all you guys, with measurements

Okay so I went and took it off the engine just for you guys lol. To my surprise it looks like a fidanza and it weighs in at 9.5lb. So I guess its a super light after all. All alum with a steel start ring and contact plate. The teeth are perfect but the contact plate imo should be resurfaced or replaced. On my old one I just drilled reliefs and flipped it but I haven't checked on this one. I didn't plan on selling it but I'm definitely not using it, I already have a 240mm os clutch and spec p plate. So if anyone wants it feel free to make an offer.

flywheel001.jpg

flywheel003.jpg

yeah thats what my steel ones look like. ill give you 100 bux paypal, plus shipping for it!!! my al. on has tapered edges around it, i got pix,but cant download them at work :mad: even if i dont use one on my racecar, my steet car could use one too. that one would work for the racecar pretty easily tho. yea hit almost needs a new surface, how far down are the heads? and ill find out if they make replacement inserts.

yeah thats what my steel ones look like. ill give you 100 bux paypal, plus shipping for it!!! my al. on has tapered edges around it, i got pix,but cant download them at work :mad: even if i dont use one on my racecar, my steet car could use one too. that one would work for the racecar pretty easily tho. yea hit almost needs a new surface, how far down are the heads? and ill find out if they make replacement inserts.

$100 plus shipping is fine, better then it sitting int he garage with the motor. I just measured now, the heads are approx .625mm or like .025 if my math is right. Resurfacing would be a bit close but I cant measure any of the pits so I don't know. An even .5mm seems like it may do the trick.

SOMEONE must sell replacements or why use a bolt method you know? If a solid non drilled piece with like notches around the edges was heat pressed in you would gain all the contact area that the heads take away. I have always been told it's to be replaceable but I honestly have never had to or seen the plates for sale, but I have never looked either so lol. Let me know what you think.