shady's racecar thread *pics*

SHADY280

well ive been working on the paul newman racecar build some more so i figured might as well show you guys whats up. plus its been a little slow here, maybe it will inspire others to work on their own cars as well. the first photos are of it taking a nap on its side. its been great working on it like this to scrape all the undercoat off!! i then por-15'd the underside and it looks stunning. then i sanded the whole inside and painted it white. i removed the rear spare tire well due to rust, so there is an idea for you ppl if yours is rusted, as well as the lower quarter support is now level and doesnt dip down.

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

underside all nice and black, almost done, look way down, i havent flipped it yet to easily reach that.

016.jpg

heres the inside cabin all painted white!!

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well ive been working on the paul newman racecar build

Why do you call it the Paul Newman racecar? Are you building a clone? I remember watching PL race that same vintage Nissan at Road Atlanta back in the day. Cool project.

yup clone indeed, it will race on a track vs. other cars, not just a show queen. heres the inspiration, i even have the road and track to get more pix, this car didnt have all that many pix of it, ive scoured everywhere and only got a handfull of pix. although digital cameras didnt really exist then, so what can i expect.

BOBSHARP2.jpg

It's cool seeing the old C Production car again. I'll poke around and see if I can find any old pics. In those days we were running a 1974 Civic 1200 in C Sedan. In fact I think I have a photo of Paul & myself at the 1985 or 1986 SCCA Runoffs (National Championships) at Road Atlanta. If I find them I'll scan them and get them posted. It will be cool to make it as retro as possible. Keep up the good work.

bleach i no has the wing yet, gonna have to find one, or modify the msa lipped one to make it look right. the only thing i may not get perfect is roll cage, and i may install 13" rotors all round to make it stop better, but as for graphics, it will be spot on. im even putting paul newmans signature on it. i have the the road and track magazine of it, i have the model, and the rare tamiya rc car body. the models all need paint, so i get to practice first on them. they actually will be harder than the real thing tho, they are so small.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have never seen those pix!!! thanks soooo much. there is tons of extra detail i can see now. whered ya find those, ive been searching for years ( not the last 6 months) are they recently downloaded to the web? where can i get them? if anyone else has more please feel free to post them. scanned or linked, is all good.

So are you doing the Budweiser car or the Pioneer car? The body work appears to be slightly different...the Bud car seems to almost have stock appearing fenders? while the Pioneer has boxed flares by the look of it.

the pioneer car, it has no flares and was campained in 79 era. the 82 style had the flares. they are basically the same for the most part, the rules changed for tire width and they added flares. i emailed that guy a while back about that car actually, or one just like it, they wanted 150,000!!!!!!!

well im a member of classiczcar now!! had to register to view the pix. that car is newer than the one im building, but shows decals and paint scheme color all the same. so that helps a bit. the last few pix are of the last 280zx paul newman raced. the body kit is ugly, but i guess it functioned.

• 3 weeks later...

its -15 celcius and the snow is 3ft deep at the shop and roads are nasty. i went there to drop the new carbs for the truck off and some random xmas gifts i got, but other than that, i gotta call the roll cage guy next week and he'll measure everything up for me and bend it. the snow is done now, but its raining and flooding everywhere!!! the last few weeks ive got nothing, its all cause of the weather, if this was cali id be done!!