AHH! The smell of the holidays

Today my son is baking his holiday cookies.  I was warned that these are for the neighbors and not to touch but I can't help myself (selfish bastard) but I helped myself to a few here and there.

Who knew he had them counted!  Delicious.  What's up at your place?

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jagman said:

Today my son is baking his holiday cookies.  I was warned that these are for the neighbors and not to touch but I can't help myself (selfish bastard) but I helped myself to a few here and there.

Who knew he had them counted!  Delicious.  What's up at your place?

And you didn't save me any?

Sorry about the cookies!   Today he is making butterflies again for several of the neighbors gardens.  One of the folks discovered that the deer don't like the movement when they are mounted on spring steel.  He makes them out of old dryer and washer cases and paints them in vivid colors.  Soon we will have to go to the steel supplier for more re-rod and angle iron.

I have to make a battery tie down for the truck and don't have any narrow flat stock.  Happy Holidays to all of you!!!

• Like 1

My son baked last year and this year he began getting notes slipped under the shop door in November with their cookie wish list on them.  "Just a suggestion mind you" but it makes he and I laugh to know that the locals have accepted us as their own.  If we don't get them delivered soon I will gain 20 pounds tho.

Growing up ,, Wife’s family always had Christmas party crab feed,, and after graduating high school “we” somehow became in charge of making/ bringing WonTons and sweet n sour dip ( we are talking 100s) .. and probably 3/4 of gallon of sauce. 

Most old timers have passed and property values were to enticing to pass up anymore , so they sold homesteads and ( got damn rich haha ) so no more parties..  

BUT ,,, we usually wrap ( she cooks I wrap) probably close to a hundred for personal use at Christmas time.. I bet you can smell that Vinegar and sugar boiling  for miles. 

• Like 1

Mincemeat pies!!! Pine sap on your hands from the tree. Yams, Brussels sprouts and parsnips only smelled at Christmas. Onion and sage stuffing smell on my mom's hands. Christmas cake and ginger cookies. Rum sauce on pudding. Burnt gunpowder from cap guns and mom yelling to go outside. Plastic and airplane glue. Steamy burnt hair from wet dog brushing against the hot wood stove, and wood smoke. Fresh split fir with snow on it still. Peppermint candy canes. Burning candles and hot wax. Apple cider and ginger from the wassail bowl. Tissue paper smelling of naval oranges they were wrapped with. One year...last summers dandelion wine. Hot apple pie. Egg nog with extra nutmeg. In the kitchen, cloves and rosemary. Dried figs and dates and all manner of nuts on the table and boxes and boxes of chocolates. 

• Like 1

In our neighborhood when I was small everyone would spend an evening at each others house to sample the punch and eat the sweets provided and the adults would allow us kids to eat the decorations on the tree.  Spiced dried apple slices, dried peach halves, popcorn strung on thread for garlands and peanuts in the shell. They gave us the punch without the rum until we were  at least 12 years old and then only one.  Most years we had snow and could make snow angels and forts for the snowball fights. 

• Like 2