EFI Conversion

igotatruck

So i got the dreaded STAR SMOG REQUIRED letter and thought this might be a good opportunity to try out an EFI conversion kit. I never really got my carb running correctly anyway.

I have an 83 720 with the obligatory California emissions set up on the carb. 

I have seen that the MSD/Atomic EFI kits are CARB compliant and wanted to try that.

Has anyone tried installing one of these?

Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen a Sniper efi kit on here i think, but no atomic that i recall.  That being said, the atomic has a strong reputation and I'm sure it would work fine, though you may need to mess with timing or run only 4 plugs (assuming 8 plug head).  Could require switching to a D21 distributor with built in crank position?

• Like 2

Don't know anything about them but I know what happens if you try to run a 4bbl made for a 5 liter V8 on a 2 liter 4 cylinder. 

If you already have it I guess t doesn't matter.

Are there any cases of someone using that on a small 4 cylinder engine? Did it work? Was it allowed by CARB.... not asking if the EFI was compliant, asking if CARB allowed it on your application.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

If you already have it I guess t doesn't matter.

Are there any cases of someone using that on a small 4 cylinder engine? Did it work? Was it allowed by CARB.... not asking if the EFI was compliant, asking if CARB allowed it on your application.

I can still return it.

The more I'm looking into it, I dont think this will work. I'm seems like learning to tune the carburetor will take as much work as installing this thing and I dont have to go drilling holes in the exhaust etc. I have not heard of anyone using this successfully either. They leave this out on the website, but in the manual it turns out these are only compliant on GM V8s 😕 Not sure if the smog techs would know this but still. The truck runs as good as it did last time I had it smogged.

• Like 1

I went to the Holley website. ....

"This part is legal for sale and use on Uncontrolled (Non-Emissions Controlled) Vehicles and Racing Use Only Vehicles.

The following vehicles are considered Uncontrolled (Non-Emissions Controlled) Vehicles:

• 1965 and older U.S. manufactured California Certified vehicles
  • 1967 and older U.S. manufactured Federally Certified vehicles
  • 1967 and older Foreign manufactured vehicle

The following vehicles are considered Racing Use Only Vehicles:

• Racing Use Only Vehicles are vehicles that are used exclusively for competition and that are not registered and that may never be used on the street

WARNING: It is against the law to install this part on an Emissions Controlled Vehicle

The following vehicles are considered Emissions Controlled Vehicles:"

• Like 2

No although there was one once. 32/34???

Easier cheaper to fix what you have. Not much to wear out on a carburetor, they mostly get dirty inside and out and get out of adjustment. 

Does yours have 6 wires going into it, and an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold?

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Stinky said:

DatzenMike...is a Weber CARB compliant?

I run the Weber DGEV 32/36 on all my Datsuns/Nissans.  I have to emissions test every 2 years here in Phoenix on anything newer than 1966.  My 86 720 King Cab Z24 passes emissions every time as long as the EGR, O2 sensor, and cat are in good working order.  I am running the Weber DEGV 32/36 with stock jetting.

DSC02890.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

Ordered from Pierce Manifolds.  This carb has been on my truck since 2011 and I spray it down with carb cleaner every 3 months and spray lube the linkage.  Every 6 months I run 1 can of Sea Foam in a tank of gas.  I also run premium gas all the time.

• Like 2

This will depend on the emissions test rules. If all it has to do is to pass then anything that will meet those requirements will do, but in California not only must you pass but you cannot change or alter any of the emissions equipment like the carburetor. It has to be original or original replacement parts for that year.

• Like 3