igotatruck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

No although there was one once. 32/34???

Do you mean this one? https://www.yotashop.com/weber-carburetor-toyota-pickup-truck-4wd-2-4l-22r-1981-1984-weber-carburetor-kit-32-36-dgev-electric-choke-california-legal-k8749/

Whats better about the Webers over the stock (Hitachi?)

Does yours have 6 wires going into it, and an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold?

Yep

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

• Like 1

That's a ECC or electronic controlled carburetor or feedback carb. Rather than a primary jet there is a rapidly opening and closing solenoid letting gas through. It's constantly adjusting itself with feedback from an O2 sensor to keep as close to perfect mixture as it can. There's a box under the driver's seat that computes the solenoid's opening and closing rate. It's about as close as a carburetor can get to being EFI.

If there is a failure of one of the sensors the ECU under the seat can default to a 'limp home' mode of extra rich mixture to prevent engine damage.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If there is a failure of one of the sensors the ECU under the seat can default to a 'limp home' mode of extra rich mixture to prevent engine damage.

I'm pretty sure its been running like this, stinks like gas when starting up.

I know there are some threads to diagnose this written up around here, and I have the next week off work so I have time to work on it.

The last two times I had to smog it, I was paying extra for the 'guaranteed pass' tests. But I'd really rather just have it work correctly.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, igotatruck said:

I'm pretty sure its been running like this, stinks like gas when starting up.

I know there are some threads to diagnose this written up around here, and I have the next week off work so I have time to work on it.

The last two times I had to smog it, I was paying extra for the 'guaranteed pass' tests. But I'd really rather just have it work correctly.

It will smell, all exhaust smells. If warming up the choke will be on, see those two pictures I posted. When warmed up the choke should be off and the choke plate vertical.... is it??? this can easily be fixed if not.

• Like 2
On 12/25/2020 at 6:57 AM, datzenmike said:

It will smell, all exhaust smells. If warming up the choke will be on, see those two pictures I posted. When warmed up the choke should be off and the choke plate vertical.... is it??? this can easily be fixed if not.

It seems like the autochoke/fast idle does work, when cold it keeps the RPMs around 1.2k, until I tap the gas and then it will settle back down to around 7-800. It isn't always consistent about this.

Edited by igotatruck
added more info
  • Like 1

I think its more likely now that the choke isnt closing/turning on.

My main gripe is how rough it runs when I first start it up, and it doesnt even get that cold here.

I can see a solid 12.4V on the blue wire to the heater, so my relay seems okay.

However, the little door (red arrow), which I think is the choke, hasnt moved at all since I fired it up and let it run for 5 min this morning. This is with the needle all the way down on C.

Is the crappy spring (blue arrow) supposed to close it?

carb.JPG

Edited by igotatruck
  • Like 1
  • 2 years later...
15 hours ago, vinylman33 said:

does anyone have a direct link to the throttle body adapter for the 2 barrel Holley EFI? I currently have a weber, however I want to get the Holley Sniper EFI 2300 Two-Barrel Fuel Injection Systems 550-849K. thanks

Trying looking through this thread....

Did the manifold originally have a Hitachi and it was converted to a weber with an adapter?

I ask because I dont believe there was an adapter to go from Hitachi to Holley.... if you adapted to put the weber on you'll be stacking up the adapters it the setup will be too tall.... there are some that will be close but not sure which one....

Other option is to make your own flat adapter...