Kaido Racer inspired 82 Diesel Maxima.

Had to scroll back to see  you're in the USAF?  Was wondering wtf you were doing in BS with CA plates still.  Passed through there in July to pick up some stuff on the way to my wife's family reunion a little further north.  I like how I'm able to register my truck here as a historic vehicle...now I only pay $5.50/yr in taxes for it 🤣

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/5/2024 at 9:07 PM, thisismatt said:

Had to scroll back to see  you're in the USAF?  Was wondering wtf you were doing in BS with CA plates still.  Passed through there in July to pick up some stuff on the way to my wife's family reunion a little further north.  I like how I'm able to register my truck here as a historic vehicle...now I only pay $5.50/yr in taxes for it 🤣

Haha yes, I'm currently in the USAF, working away in Whiteman AFB Missouri, definitely been an interesting time here. Snow has finally arrived here, so the maxima is basically down for winter. Hopefully my S12 will continue to run good, otherwise I'll have to dig out the maxima for work! Only thing thats been a bummer about Missouri is that finding other datsun nerds out here is not easy. Besides a few Z car guys, theres not much out here. Im trying to start up a group/club here for Missouri specifically. 

Missed my chance to cover up the Maxima too so it got a little snowy lol

5WhpT9T.jpg

• Like 1

Storm hit Missouri pretty good, the next storm coming through should be a pretty damn good one too!

KSAp4q7.jpg

mltS2zp.jpg

Should have covered up the maxima haha. Woops.

But the S12 has been a pretty good winter beater so far.

OG keys to the new project Datsun..

ACdDLmU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

S12 broke down, so I've been forced to driving the Maxima in this weather. It absolutely hates starting in any weather below 10 or so, but it's amazing that it even starts in 0 degree weather. Just takes alot of cranking, and alot of battery juice. Since I park so far away from any wall outlet, I don't have any source of power for a block heater, or a battery tender, so when storms hit us, I resort to bringing my battery indoors to keep it warm and charged lol.

Very cold, cold start for yall. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Glow plugs???

I'm definitely thinking its due for a new set of glow plugs. I've got two whole new sets on the side, I just haven't swapped them out just yet. Correct units too, NGK Y204RS, which are quick glow system plugs, to use in conjunction with the Nissan glow plug controller. I'm definitely worried about any of the tips breaking off the plugs when I start pulling them out, but I suppose I just have to do it either way. 

Hey this ain't no Ford 3 valve engine.

Doesn't the controller make you wait while the glow plug warms up? I suppose it's just a timer and no way of knowing if they are actually working.

21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Doesn't the controller make you wait while the glow plug warms up?

In 82, the Maxima got a glow plug controller and a variable dropping resistor to be used with the fast glow glow plugs. The stock Nissan controller is about 8 seconds to "fully" warm up the plugs. The controller uses a relay to control the amount of voltage is sent to the plugs for a "controlled" plug temperature, typically not exceeding past 900 degrees Celsius.

FSM_1982_EL-038_b.jpg

The system is pretty good, although there were many complaints with ld28 owners in warmer climates having issues with warm starts. There is a "dead zone" in the controller, where it wont kick on the glow plugs if it senses a "warm" coolant temperature, but the engine itself may be too cold for it to start on its own. I've run into that issue once before in California.

Best thing to do when you still use the original controller is to warm it up completely, and don't just go for a quick gas station milk run! 

I want to do a manual glow plug system in conjunction with the QGS controller, but its quite risky since the QGS plugs are prone to cracking and breaking if the temps exceed 900 celsius for extended periods of time, hence the controllers used with them. I'll probably start with a fresh set of plugs first, then see how it fairs with the 0 degree weather we've got.

xy08wK3.jpg

I snagged this brand new 10 piece box on ebay a while back. It's almost a shame to have to tear into it!

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
23 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Doesn't the controller make you wait while the glow plug warms up? I suppose it's just a timer and no way of knowing if they are actually working.

I'm convinced I've got at least two dead plugs in the head.. With the sub zero starts, once it runs, it runs rough, and I can hear it go from a 4 to a 5 and then a 6 cylinder diesel lol.