Kaido Racer inspired 82 Diesel Maxima.

Bought a new one, 1982 Diesel maxima, 5 speed 😏. 216k miles on the clock, and still gets 28 mpg combined, and Im not light footed. Dont fret, my 620 is still with me, but this shall be my sweet, comfortable daily. Until I ruin it! Plans are to go shakotan with this mofo, nothing crazy, s13 suspension, and on the lookout for 15 inch SSR mk1's 🤤.

Also bought another 82, diesel automatic for parts. It was a too good of a deal, because it came with a diesel, and a spare diesel! So that makes 3 total diesels in my hands 😈😈.

FfssaGl.jpg

TUkTHvm.jpg

k6vhaLx.jpg

SrxUgVD.jpg

46LBIRX.jpg

rb0mH1w.jpg

6sJb9bX.jpg

Also picked up a set of Recaro lxb's(?) for a really good price. Think theyll look good with some work 👍👍

bv0RcK0.jpg

yddjs9B.jpg

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
  • Like 5
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heres more pics.

The beater parts vehicle.

ECKKmZs.jpg

k55OvXN.jpg

Already put work in. Cleaned up a hackjob 5$ walmart parking lot spray job on the roof. Took my time, found some shoddy fiberglass and filler work in the drip rails and window corners. Rust is springing up due to bad prep, so thats urgent work.

pkygKrv.jpg

pjtvjyd.jpg

32pPUPA.jpg

u7tRXXa.jpg

• Like 2

Still workin hard. 300 mile round trip to pickup the diesel... now this diesel is a special diesel, take a good look at the photos. Youll notice some oddities, like no EGR, mid sump hammerhead pan, Dip stick located in the middle, no thermostat... Making this diesel most likely a boat diesel, either from the states or out 👌

rzrNJwn.jpg

ogm70Hk.jpg

4rmlGgF.jpg

dyf21iu.jpg

CSJxBqr.jpg

• Like 2
  • Anonymous Waffle changed the title to Kaido Racer inspired 82 Diesel Maxima.

Some fun updates. Put about 9k miles so far, been a nice, efficient daily. Had to work in L.A. for a month and it did the trip twice without a fault. Met one of the maxima guys down there and bought his set of 15" ssr mk1's. 

is02MRe.jpg

CVCE88I.jpg

Took some parts off the white maxy to fix the hideously crushed fender on the pass side. Not perfect, but better than it was. It wasn't easy to find a passenger marker light. Bought a 83/84 grill and painted it and the headlight surround black. Gonna have to redo it since it's not perfect. 

xWOWLZR.jpg

ixZnGhi.jpg

Threw on the Tein S13 coilovers with s13 LCA, brakes, and tie rods up front. Install was very simple!

ehZvdD4.jpg

eipppux.jpg

Zmx53y1.jpg

X2bL9XK.jpg

DSqijeo.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, slowlearner said:

This is AWESOME! I hope you have some boost planned for it. 🙂 

Did someone say BOOST? 

oSLZ6qT.jpg

Took a little bit of carbide bit and sanding work to get it to fit onto a LD28. Bought all of these from a guy only a few hours from me. Came with a NOS 280zx Turbo Oil feed line and a Oil pressure Sensor and Tee fitting. Came with a low mileage 300zx Turbo.

p6S5vuE.jpg

DoyKBWf.jpg

KtL2MzR.jpg

auMSpbz.jpg

Yca10w1.jpg

4G6M7Rj.jpg

y0Dwsbz.jpg

vZ9MA4h.jpg

J pipe plan, using the stock 280zx Turbo J pipe. Not ideal, will change in the future, possibly when I go fmic. No current plans as of yet.

4dDjHsH.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, slowlearner said:

Fantastic. Although... if that turbo is for a 3 litre petrol, you might find it's a bit big for the diesel = lots of lag.

Probably not actually. The stock 300zx Turbo is a T28 IIRC, and the diesel is a 2.8 vs a 3.0. Diesel engines also give out alot more exhaust gasses in nature, so it may spool very quickly! I won't know for certain until I try it out, but that's the fun of it. 

There aren't too many guys who have Turbo'd their ld28s. There's a couple of guys in Germany who have done this, and a handful in the ld28 Facebook group. 

14 hours ago, ArchetypeDatsun said:

A friend in sacramento named Ray who has a shop out there called fitted garage had a boosted 84 diesel he said it was as fast as a 240z so not bad for diesel maxima.  

And how did I not know this?? I've got to swing by to get some pointers 🤔 Also I loved your maxy man, when I saw it at datslocos years ago, it's what turned my attention the maxima. Definitely an inspiration!

3 hours ago, Skib said:

There was a dude at Canby in like 09? that had a Z with a turbo LD28 in it,

only saw him that one time though and could never find anything on that car.

Pretty rad set up though. 

I was 12 years old in 09. My first Canby was 2015. Feel old yet?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, Anonymous Waffle said:

😂 a bit... I was out of college in 09

3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Stop with the elder abuse. lol 

😂 loooool

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Anonymous Waffle said:

2 hours ago, Skib said:

😂 a bit... I was out of college in 09

😂 loooool

You guys are making me feel real old.

I was out of college in 1976.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Racer X 69 said:

You guys are making me feel real old.

I was out of college in 1976.

My dad was 16 in 1976 😂

But this does go to show...

We have been keeping the next group of younger enthusiasts going.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Anonymous Waffle said:

And how did I not know this?? I've got to swing by to get some pointers 🤔 Also I loved your maxy man, when I saw it at datslocos years ago, it's what turned my attention the maxima. Definitely an inspiration!

Thanks man i appreciate it, unfortunately i can't take all the credit.  I bought that car in early 2014 sold it after about a little over a year owning it completely stock.  Then about another year later i bought it back and it had been slammed on S13 coilovers and S13 front suspension.  All i really did was put my 14x7 off my 810 wagon on it and bam i fell in love with the look.  I put a new 2.25" exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 and those fugly headlights for the moment at the time.  Never got to do more to it as i sold it January last year to a friend who ended up cutting the engine bay for a F20C swap 🤦‍♂️.  He got kinda disappointed the L24E and how he couldn't do much with it.  I think his plan was to make it a drift car sadly.  

IMG_20200119_095621.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, ArchetypeDatsun said:

Thanks man i appreciate it, unfortunately i can't take all the credit.  I bought that car in early 2014 sold it after about a little over a year owning it completely stock.  Then about another year later i bought it back and it had been slammed on S13 coilovers and S13 front suspension.  All i really did was put my 14x7 off my 810 wagon on it and bam i fell in love with the look.  I put a new 2.25" exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 and those fugly headlights for the moment at the time.  Never got to do more to it as i sold it January last year to a friend who ended up cutting the engine bay for a F20C swap 🤦‍♂️.  He got kinda disappointed the L24E and how he couldn't do much with it.  I think his plan was to make it a drift car sadly.  

IMG_20200119_095621.jpg

It's interesting how different the datsuns you got in the US were different to what we got down here. I don't think anyone could have imagined an LD28 "bluebird" here. With the lights and mascot on the bonnet it looks like a US made car to me. Weird. We got an L20B 4 banger car with a live rear axle. Of course there were a few "import" race cars...

George Fury: 1983 Nissan Bluebird Turbo (tradeuniquecars.com.au)

and this...

The last iron warrior: Geoff Portman's Nissan Bluebird - RallySport Magazine

Jap ended up modded and VERY fast, but never 6 cyl cars.

5 hours ago, slowlearner said:

It's interesting how different the datsuns you got in the US were different to what we got down here. I don't think anyone could have imagined an LD28 "bluebird" here. With the lights and mascot on the bonnet it looks like a US made car to me. Weird. We got an L20B 4 banger car with a live rear axle. Of course there were a few "import" race cars...

George Fury: 1983 Nissan Bluebird Turbo (tradeuniquecars.com.au)

and this...

The last iron warrior: Geoff Portman's Nissan Bluebird - RallySport Magazine

Jap ended up modded and VERY fast, but never 6 cyl cars.

I think that Nissan's plans and  thoughts were, back in the 80's , was that with the rising scene of high luxury, technology stuffed cars, Nissan needed a luxury family car to go along with their line up of cars. They had the sports car (280zx), the economy cars (510 V2, 210, 200sx) and their updated truck (720). They didn't really have a 4 door luxury car at the time, so they took what they had from Japan/Australia, the 810/910 bluebird, and modified it to cater to the American Market of the time. They added electronic add-ons (factory Power windows, sunroof, Nissan sound system, bigger, plushier interior, Independent rear suspension) 

Nissan most likely also modified the chassis to accept the l24E and ld28 to make the maxima line more luxurious as well. A big engine for power and comfort, that also provided good economy.

Or at least that's what my guess is to the reason as to why Nissan made the datsun maxima in the U.S in the first place. Nissan didn't make or sell too many maximas in the U.S. (afaik), especially when it only had a 3 year run, which spiked my curiosity to the car itself.

It reminds me of the Datsun F10 or the Nissan 200sx (84-86), the weird odd ball cars that didn't sell well, but Nissan tried to span its line up of cars for the U.S. market.

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
50 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

So, does that Maxima have IRS? I'm really surprised to hear that. 

Yessir, the sedans came with IRS, similar to the 280zx it's, if not the same suspension. Also came with power steering rack and pinion, and 4 way disc brakes. The wagon came with a standard rear axle.

18 minutes ago, Anonymous Waffle said:

Yessir, the sedans came with IRS, similar to the 280zx it's, if not the same suspension. Also came with power steering rack and pinion, and 4 way disc brakes. The wagon came with a standard rear axle.

Wow, that's really cool! As Monty Python once said, "Lukshureh!!!" 🤣

• Haha 1