Head gasket set L16 any suggestions brand, quality

edekalil

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You may get an L20B gasket which is fine and will work on L16 and L18s too. The fire rings are 85mm instead of 83 for the L16. Bigger is better than too small.

Thanks again Mike , it's been a while since I bought one but I always got the FellPro back in the day.

Edited by edekalil
1 hour ago, edekalil said:

Mike, by chance does all the gaskets in the L20B set work on the L16 exhaust,intake and others as well as valve stem seals? I think they are but I'm not sure. I figured if so I'll get the L20B set.

The intake/exhaust manifold gaskets are different, as the stock L16 has SMALL intake ports, where the L20B has LARGE intake ports & the L16 has square exhaust ports , the L20B has round.  What cylinder head casting # do you have OR measure the ports..............

Maybe datzenmike can clarify that you CAN use the big port/round port gasket with a stock small/square port L16, but I wouldn't do it 😐

As long as the manifold gasket holes are larger than the ports it's fine. You don't want the gasket in the port. Probably they are all one size. ALL the L16/18 and the '74 through '77 L20B  have square exhaust ports for use with the A87 and the U67 heads. On the U67 heads there is no coolant holes to mate with the intake but the gasket may have them so it can be used on the L16/18s that do. For '78-'80 the W58 head is used and those have round exhaust ports and definitely coolant holes for the intake. I believe you can safely use a square port exhaust gasket on a round port head but not the other way round or the gasket ring will be exposed to exhaust gasses.

On my L20B in the 710 I gasket matched the head and the intake and exhaust ports. The exhaust was harder as they are cast iron but now they have no lip and are aligned perfectly even if the casting shifted slightly when being poured. I used a new gasket and set it on the studs and scratched the aluminum head with a nail. Then grind away and smooth into the port. Same thing with the intake and exhaust. The gasket, I have found, is always larger than the ports and often the holes are off slightly so this lines them up.   

This head a u67 is for the L20b I have ready mostly to build but the head has exaust ports like on a L16, it doesn't have the emissions inserts in the intake as well. These pics are for my L20b build for a sedan. Sorry for me running off the road.

4F5FC99E-9EFA-488B-A1F3-E75B45C93091.jpg

4FD8B0E5-E562-44D9-B752-0E34C2A54DE7.jpg

I plan to use the correct intake/exaust gasket for the Goon head an L16 . I'll do as Mike suggested on the head gasket I have a set for the L20b that was never used so I'll use what will fit on the L16 I may have to get a correct intake/exaust gasket separate. I want  to get a new set of gaskets for when I can build the L20b and I saw that all the intake/exaust gaskets are round exaust ports and not square. I ended up with the u67 because I believe I read it was better than the round ones with the emissions stuff casted into it and this one did not have that. I saw it on a truck striped with no hood on a giant pile of metal they where going to crush it, so went to look and saw it was a L20b it was on so I swapped back the emissions one for the u67 to my friend who owned the junk yard. Sorry for getting way off what I started to ask. What intake/exaust manifold gasket would it take? 

Edited by edekalil
9 minutes ago, john510 said:

Fel-Pro head gasket and a can of that copper spray.Works great.

I do agree about the copper coat spray. I had to fix a L16 head valve and found out about using it. Never had any issues it all is still going.

Mike I think I found some info you posted in the past that may help me figure when my u67 head was produced. This may help when I get a gasket set to replace the one for the L20b build that way the valve stem seals will be newer and the intake exaust gasket should match, and like I said I will use the new old stock L20b head gasket I have for the L16 on the Goon I'm about to get running again with no loss of compression then.  Sorry for confusing everyone.

Screenshot-20201009-154337.png

I guess I'll have to look for a 75-77 L20b head gasket set for the L20b with the u67 head.

Edited by edekalil

The earliest L20B was used in the '74 610 and this probably had the A87 heads. All '75-'77 L20Bs were U67 with a better port diameter than the A87. All '78-'80 heads were W58 with round exhaust ports with steel liners. You can slit them lengthwise, with the valve out, and then pry and pull them out. The insides of the round port have bumps that support the liner and hold it away from the port wall so they can't transfer heat and become glowing hot. If you remove the liners grind these off.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The earliest L20B was used in the '74 610 and this probably had the A87 heads. All '75-'77 L20Bs were U67 with a better port diameter than the A87. All '78-'80 heads were W58 with round exhaust ports with steel liners. You can slit them lengthwise, with the valve out, and then pry and pull them out. The insides of the round port have bumps that support the liner and hold it away from the port wall so they can't transfer heat and become glowing hot. If you remove the liners grind these off.

Thanks for the great info and patience, yes I used to have the later model a87 it had the inverts so when I saw this one I swapped the a87 for the u67 because of the non emissions junk seemed simpler.

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Only the W58 could be called an 'emissions head'. The A87 has smaller intake ports but this is good for low speed power and torque. The U67 and W58 were larger ports 

You are correct it was the w58 it had the round exaust ports with the steel liners casted in it I swapped it back to my friend at the junk yard for the u67 with square exaust ports. I had read they where better.