My '78 620 Rebuild of a daily driver.

Bandit240

Haven't updated in a few days. I took a couple of days off from working on the truck.

I got the drivers side of the bed done to pretty much as best as im going to get it. Im happy with it.

These were taken right after i sanded the whole thing for painting. Dehooked!

IMG_0301_1.jpg

IMG_0300_1.jpg

Painted with a rattle can...

IMG_0302_1.jpg

IMG_0303_1.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, found one can at wal-mart tonight, so i grabbed it just to test and see how it would look. Im happy with it. I almost went with yellow after seeing more pics of Ol Yellers truck. Im still going to sand that off and do a little more body work, found a few spots i missed.

Well im not going to be doing much more work on it until i find out if im getting the other truck or not. I got an email today about a '74 thats in decent shape. All i want is the cab. The cab is in alot better shape than mine. So are the front fenders.

This is the only pic ive got of the other truck. If i get it, i will use the 2'' lowering blocks from it on mine. Its alot lower since its only got one leaf on the back. Frame is only 2'' off the floor.

IMG_0492.jpg

I put my truck back together today, kinda. Only the doors and hood are bolted onto the cab. The fenders are just sitting there, so is the bed. I did get my taillights working right again. Also cleaned the lenses in the dishwasher, mucho better now.

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

I painted the frames around the lights with flat black paint. Im happy with it.

The inside is still gutted. I took the windows out of the doors and the handles off the outside to paint. Ive got a homemade handle for the spare tire holder, works great.

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Only 1 crack in the dash. Didn't have any when i got the truck.

IMG_0523.jpg

Nice to see another Datsun owner in SC. Are you in Charleston, or nearby?

As for the hole in the frame, i havent been able to get a pic. Its above the left front leaf spring hanger. Ive got metal and welding gear, but i cant weld worth shit.

We have a few welders here. Ive got a MIG thats a bit odd to use, a normal old stick welder and some vintage german thing thats almost as tall as me. Im out on Johns Island. Ive got my granddads collection of tools to use from the last 50 years, so ive pretty much got anything needed.

Im happy now, i dont have to fix the core support, floors or rocker panels. I found another truck with a much better cab.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

The drivers side only has 3 small holes. All of the mounts are good and not rusted out. Im going to strip down that cab tomorrow. Also useing the drivers fender from it.

Well i haven't really been working on the '78 since getting the '74. Once i get the cab off, then ill start working on it again.

Even during the refit, its being used to move junk around the yard. Ive got the ass end of a truck that we store metal junk in, so i moved the pile of stuff from in front of the shop to the truck/trailer thing.

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

Well ive been working on getting the new cab ready to set on the truck. I spent yesterday cleaning and undercoating the bottom of it. Ive still got to replace the right inner fender, but i will wait to do that when its on the truck. The floor has a bunch of small holes in it. The undercoat filled some of them, and i will paint the inside of the floor with bedliner paint, that should fill the rest of them.

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

The cab will be coming off the truck today and new cab going on. Ive them both pretty much stripped down and ready. Also worked on the dash today. Im useing the metal part from the '74 since it doesnt have the seatbelt light in it. Ive got it painted Semi Gloss Black and it looks good. Going to put my pad on it since its only got one crack.

Dash out of my truck.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Other dash.

IMG_0941.jpg

The cabs

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

Kinda funny, ive got one bed and chassie and one cab and chassie setting outside the shop.

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Ill post pics later once the cabs are swapped.