My '78 620 Rebuild of a daily driver.

Bandit240

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ive been pissed off for most of the day since we figured the frame was twisted. Spent all day out on my boat so i wouldn't do something bad to the truck. Came home and my granddad had an idea on how to fix it. We jack it up and set it on stands all the way around. He took the backhoe and pressed on the left front corner(where it was picking up at). That lifted the right rear corner. I pulled the stand out from back there and jumped up and down on it until we got it somewhat straight. Worked out ok since now the level puts the bubble in the middle on the front crossmember.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Backhoes are a very helpful thing to have.

Got the other fender installed today. Its not perfect, but im happy with it. At least i dont plan on selling the truck since i dont think anyone would want to buy it after this project gets done. Im going to start hunting a KC to put my motor in.

IMG_0985.jpg

The mount here doesnt have much metal left, so ive got to do something to reinforce it.

IMG_0987.jpg

Im tired of the rivet gun and my hand hurts.

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

Also reinstalled the under hood wiring. Its a freaking mess, but it works.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

It would seem that that clutch master cylinder is closer to the brake booster on a 74 since they used smaller boosters, nothing a hammer couldn't help.

IMG_0996.jpg

And the pedals are installed.

IMG_0997.jpg

Im going to get the dash in tomorrow and try to get it to run again since it needs to be out of the shop Saturday for motorhome servicing.

I got the truck back together and running. Its still in peices, but it runs again. Will the rad from a 74 w/ L18 be enough to cool the L20b?

It just does fit.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Ive slowed down on working on it again. Ill jump back on it in a few days.

I got the truck back together and running. Its still in peices, but it runs again. Will the rad from a 74 w/ L18 be enough to cool the L20b?

Sure but keep an eye out for a proper 3 core rad. It may run hot if it's working hard or it gets hot in the summer. The L20B rad will likely have the inlet on the left side too.

Ive got the old rad that was in the 78 truck. It has a repair from when the fan got mashed into it in the wreck and its a bit twisted. I may try to install it anyway, but i was just trying to get the truck going. Got the bleed the clutch to get it moving by itself again.

It turned out to be a clog in the line. Took the line loose on both ends and blew it out with the airhose, whatever was in there got my granddad. Also the freaking spring in the master cylinder was broken into 3 pieces and jamming the plunger. As soon as i can afford it, im buying new master and slave cylinders for it.

At least now it can run and drive to move its own ass around. Its uphill into both parts of my shop and im tired of pushing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i think its time i install the weber carb on the truck. Its starting running real bad. I thought it was a dizzy problem, so i put in the matchbox dizzy i have and that didn't help at all. Ive got it running decent enough to move around the yard on its own, but thats about it. More concerned on getting the wagon up and going.