My '78 620 Rebuild of a daily driver.

Bandit240

So for the last 4 years ive just been driving my truck and not really doing much more that oil changes. Well its time to give it a little make over. The motor and trans are great, but the body work leaves a little to be desired.

Heres a few pics of it as it sat a few days ago.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

Ive spent the last few days taking it apart, cleaning rust and priming it. Right now ive got the fenders, doors, hood and bed off. Ive got to do some repair on the front left corner of the cab from when i smacked a honda.

Pics!

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Heres the floors. Ive got a few holes on the drivers side, but they are covered with aluminum tape. It worked good for the last 4 years, so lets go another 4.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

This is the damage on the LF.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

The fender well is even bent pretty bad.(Note the HEI setup)

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Heres the front sheetmetel.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres some pictures of the bed. It was dark when i took them, so their not too great. For the most part, its solid, but it does have a few rust holes. Im priming everything so i can find every little thing i can.

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0018_1.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Ive got a heavy rubber mat that goes in the bed, so thats why i really hadnt noticed the rust.

Got a little more work done on the truck today. Started working on the bent fender well. Kinda got it straight. The hard part is getting the boxed section on the front of the core support. Its smashed. Got the rest of the bed primed. Its got alot more dents than i thought.

Pictures!!!

Fender well: before

IMG_0034.jpg

After

IMG_0041.jpg

Here you can see how smashed the front is. When i hit the honda, i tryed to avoid it, but between the choice of the car or power pole, i took car.

IMG_0042.jpg

Doors off, priming the cab. Still have chose the final colour. Its a toss up between orange and yellow.

IMG_0044.jpg

Im going to fibreglass over the holes with West Systems epoxy.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Heres the bed.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

My motor. I was happy when i did the valve cover.

IMG_0050.jpg

More will be coming over the next few days since i will be working on it as much as i can.

Todays update.

I got some of the dents pounded out of the driver side fender. It looks a bit better now. Also got both front fenders primed. Got all the sheetmetel on the truck, but not bolted. Got some of the fibreglassing done on the drivers floor.

Ive noticed that the front seems to be sitting unlevel. The frame is level, but the body is a little goofy. Im going to try fix that tomorrow.

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Ive got to figure out what grille to use once its done. Everyone around here knows my truck by the red/black grille and i like it, but it got broke up in the wreck.

IMG_0085.jpg

Would you say my old number plate saw hell?

IMG_0087.jpg

The motor is just a stock L20b. Only mod i can claim is taking out the box under the dash for the dizzy and adding in an HEI module. That was done more to get it running again since the box under the dash seems to have died.

I hate waiting on epoxy to cure. Ive got the truck parked in the sun and a little heater on it, but its still taking forever to cure. Doesnt help that its about 55 outside.

Got the drivers floor done. Its alot better now than it was. Going to sand and paint it all soon. Ill get pics then.

On another note, i may be trading the F250 for an '80 310GX.

I got set back some on the truck. Wednesday a buddy of mine called and asked if id like to help take a sailboat to FL, sure why not. Hopped on the boat that afternoon and got off Thursday morning down in Beaufort. No heat on the boat, cold as hell and the owner was a total dumbass.

Now back to the truck. I did a little work on the bed. Ive got most of the small dents fixed and now im working on the big stuff. Im going to be filling all the seams in the bed. Mostly worked on the left rear corner.

Pounded in the big dent and sanded it to do some bondo work.

IMG_0124.jpg

First bit of bondo done.

IMG_0124_1.jpg

Looks kinda rough after primer.

IMG_0134.jpg

Second go at it, looks alot better now.

IMG_0141.jpg

Some misc pics of the rest of the truck.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Hood and doors.

IMG_0133.jpg

Heres my fibreglass/epoxy repair on the floor.

IMG_0121.jpg

Yea, im picking out the old stuff that was in them, then sanding the hell out of them and then filling them in. Ive got to fill them since some of my dents are right by the seam. Im also doing the seams on the roof of the cab.

Heres where the seam on the cab used to be.

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

I also found the little mirror that was on the truck when i got it. Im going to remove the big mirrors that ive had on it and put the little one back on.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Ive almost got the left rear corner done. Ive got to get some real thin filler to skim it with. Theres a few small pits in the bondo.

Tried to fill the holes by skimming the whole thing with bondo, didnt put enough hardner in it and it only half kicked. Had to scrape all that off.

IMG_0187.jpg

All scraped and painted again.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Tomorrow is the front part of the bed.