Making a mini me for my 210 (Stanley)

Got tired of not being able to find a tiny 210 and anyone who modifies probably won't do what I need so I'm taking this project on myself 😬 I started with trying to find a car that was as close to the 210 as possible. Not easy when you have a 2-door obscure, red-headed stepchild of a Datsun. I went with the Nissan Sunny 1000. It's fairly close but the front end will need a bit of work unless I can figure out a way to hide the pointed front. Once I get it where I need it to be I'll be making a grille, bumpers, taillights, door handles, side mirror, license plate lights and hopefully a wheel swap. Here's the model:

GkBOxaB.jpg

StWCkXJ.jpg

iEJ8yBg.jpg

5kB2YV9.jpg

Look how cute with the little muffler 😄

7sHXQIy.jpg

Edited by colourbox
  • Like 4
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got all the plastic bits off. Had to use a drimmel to get the "glass" out. It was in by rivets. My husband rigged his up in the kitchen cause it's one million degrees motherland hot outside.

LiOvoaT.jpg

HpmLjo1.jpg

Glass removed

n2e8AXe.jpg

uhl7wPS.jpg

9xYmQmZ.jpg

Got a test car to see how the paint stripper we have will work. Seems to be doing the job. Just sprayed it 10 minutes ago and it's already bubbling up.

MaMKNsY.jpg

• Like 2

So abandoned this for a few days to collect all the other stuff I will eventually need. Transfer paper for emblems, paint, lacquer, etc. I'll get into that later. So all the paint stripped off quite nicely.

kHXiyYQ.jpg

The side vent on the front door window had a molded vent in the glass so I can't make it flat. I used alcohol and a pointed q-tip to rub off the blue paint between the front and back windows and the chrome coloring around the vent window.

udzvSaH.jpg

vN2y750.jpg

This is a trial I'm doing here but I've got some tiny pieces made up in clay to see how they turn out in a mold. I'm going to be calling some 3D print shops tomorrow to see if I can get a grille printed out. If it's not too expensive I definitely want to go that route. These pieces I made up once cast in plastic will need to be sanded down so they look better. Might do a test run tomorrow.

tEjTP38.jpg

Edited by colourbox
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My test pieces worked. They weren't that pretty but I wasn't going for perfection. I wanted to see how well the mould would come out. I left this project for a bit while I tried to work some things out and figure out better ways of doing things to this. I was also collecting paint, primer, decal paper and other materials needed for this which I will show later. I've also been testing different clays. I had to go for a harder one so I'm trying that out now. I may have to do this in wax but I'm trying not to if I can. Meanwhile I'm back to grinding the front end down.

KR7DZpa.jpg

Trying to square off the grille area which is going to take forever or at least it seems that way.

Edited by colourbox
  • Like 2

I used JB Weld to plug up the tiny holes left after I took out the fender mirrors, door handles and windshield wipers. That stuff works quick! You gotta be fast with it especially at a small amount. Good stuff! I'm still grinding away on the front end.

• Like 1

I'm going to repurpose some of the parts that were on the car.

Nzp8djA.jpg

The taillights I'll use as the rear side markers (I have to cut off the pin that pushed into the car), I'll figure something out with those wipers cause they're on the opposite side but they're so small no one will notice if I turn them around and the fender mirror which I need to make a base for.

Already made the teeny tiny door handles.

4yxtDsi.jpg

I had ordered two of these cars in case I messed up. The second one finally showed up. The guy I bought it from on ebay put the wrong address on the package so it kept getting routed all over the place. Thank goodness there was a tracking number so I was able to have the post office update the address. I'll try and pull the wheels off of it and see how easy it is or isn't. I was going to buy one of the VW Golf cars as they have the type of rims with wheel caps that look closer to mine. Jury is still out. I may just fake it with the decal paper.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Work on this has slowed down because I'm finally working again.....from home. Yay! I got a grille and bumpers I think I'm ok with. I started painting them.

7FtreS8.jpg

I found this guy on ebay that will print and laminate tiny license plates at the scale you need. It looks fantastic! It's so small though I couldn't get the camera to focus properly but it is perfectly legible.

8EqvqMY.jpg

Next I need to get rid of the center line going down the hood since Stanley only has two lines on his hood. When I get that done I can start painting the car and getting the pieces glued on.

Edited by colourbox
  • Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally starting to paint. I switched from oil to acrylic cause oil takes too damn long to dry. I need this to be done before I die. I accidentally brushed my finger over the signal lens paint on the grille so I need to clean it up with some black paint. I used the oil to paint those lights and that's when I discovered oil takes forever to dry. I'll be spray painting the interior a little later. Finally found a store that had some brown paint I was semi happy with. I'll post a pic of that later. I also painted the wheels black to get rid of the white walls. Here's the progress on the front so far.

PfRLJdt.jpg

Here's the wheels

dyLbp8B.jpg

Interior painted. Picked up Krylon ColorMaxx Satin Brown Boots. Honestly, I don't know who comes up with these names.

w2QtBv4.jpg

Edited by colourbox
  • Like 5

I have committed to gluing pieces and parts 😱 Wiper blades, rear side markers, emblems, wheel decals and side trim next. Still trying to figure out how I'm making the side mirror and what I'm doing about the side trim.

mgmFTtj.jpg

mwdCTKF.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fiveoneO said:

That's awesome! Nice work

23 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Looks awesome 

Thanks guys! I need to find the time to find a place that can maybe print the teeny tiny emblems to put on the grill and back 1/4 panels. Found a couple places that might be capable. Haven't had the time to get in contact with them. Then I was sitting here thinking why my dumb ass just didn't do decals for the grille and taillights. Would've been cleaner. Got me thinking about trying it on the other car I bought in case I messed something up I had a backup. I might still try it and see what it looks like after I get this one complete. It's coming along though.