Making a mini me for my 210 (Stanley)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Those decals look really nice! The attention to detail really catches the eye.

Way to go Ms Jones!

Thanks Duncan! I'm really hoping the photo versions hold up but the line art versions should look pretty good. I can't wait to see them. My first attempt on the car the quarter panel emblems looked amazing for only being 5mm wide. I've already got the teeny tiny license plates. They're 7mm wide.

IMG_8878.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Decals finally came in. The type in the emblems didn't come out as well as last time so the place I had them printed is trying to beef up the type some to see if it'll print better. Meanwhile, I have the taillights and side trim on. I don't want to glue on any pieces (bumper, license plates, side markers, etc) until I have all the decals placed. I'll have to spray with clear after I get all the decals on.

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8902.JPG

Edited by Cleopatra Jones

Keep at it Kimberly, I like what I see. I tried something years ago using JB Weld.....

A Matchbox 510 limo...

muXmawi.jpg

RmZ1c8O.jpg

Q7dj9GI.jpg

yhAGWrc.jpg

JB weld.

19bnASm.jpg

loLgs02.jpg

Even had rear facing seats behind the fronts

3yCAyW9.jpg

Haven't seen it in years. I would never have thrown away. Maybe I should try another, I have a beautiful Dremel kit now. Maybe cut both rear doors out and swap sides so thy look like suicide doors. Maybe this winter.

• Like 1

I was trying to make a tiny footer for the driver’s side fender mirror so I could glue it to the door but that JB Weld just sets too gosh darn fast. It’s such a teeny tiny piece it’s near impossible to work with. I wanted to make a mirror on the first car I did but it’s just too small. Maybe one day I’ll try and have somebody 3D print one. Fools will probably want to charge me $100 😶

So far I’m diggin the decals. Wish I had thought of this before I started the first car and not when I was damn near done. This one is going to look a lot cleaner.

Edited by Cleopatra Jones
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Keep at it Kimberly, I like what I see. I tried something years ago using JB Weld.....

A Matchbox 510 limo...

muXmawi.jpg

RmZ1c8O.jpg

Q7dj9GI.jpg

yhAGWrc.jpg

JB weld.

19bnASm.jpg

loLgs02.jpg

Even had rear facing seats behind the fronts

3yCAyW9.jpg

Haven't seen it in years. I would never have thrown away. Maybe I should try another, I have a beautiful Dremel kit now. Maybe cut both rear doors out and swap sides so thy look like suicide doors. Maybe this winter.

You should def try another. After having done my first car I’ve thought of a lot better ways to do this one. I just hope I don’t mess up.

I used my husband’s dremel on these. He even rigged up a foot peddle so I could start and stop easier.

I got the stupid bumpers on a little crooked. I knew those would be a problem. They're super glued so I'm kind of committed now. Maybe one day I'll try and pull them off and redo. The front one got stuck to the grille decal so when I was trying to get that off it started to tear the decal so I left it. I do like the decals better for the the lights, grille, etc. Looks more realistic. Calling this one done.....for now.

IMG_8940.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks! I was actually wondering if there was some kind of agent I could use to get the glue loosened up other than nail polish remover or something. I've been running things around in my head about how to get the bumpers off. They aren't completely glued to the car just because of the angles that are on the car so I think I may even be able to run a razor between the car and bumper and get them off. It's bothering me enough that I want to try and set those again.

Good to know. It's no problem if the plastic gets messed up. I think I may use the original mould I made for the bumpers on the first car. I think they may have been thinner. I think these new ones are too wide. I thought about using the router on them to make them thinner but I probably would've messed that all up.