Different style dash pads for 70-73?

ByStickel

I was looking at refurbishing the dash pad in my '72 wagon, and when comparing it to one from a '70, they look a little different. My '72 pad is thinner, and flatter from front to back. The '70 seems to have thicker padding with more curve to it, front-to-back.

I know that these things all shrank a lot from when new, and perhaps some shrink and distort in different ways. Does anyone know if there were shape variations on any of the '70-'73 dash pads?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see two vastly different part numbers for the '70 and up goon dash pad. Probably.... probably a different shape but totally interchangeable. Possibly a totally different supplier and they are exactly the same otherwise.

Might not be of use to you, but i refurbished my 510 goon dash mat a little while back.  I filled the cracks, then wrapped it completely with a thin yoga mat, then upholstered it in black marine grade vinyl.

If you want the details, see my build thread. Dash top starts pretty far down page 14.

• 2 weeks later...

Vintagedashes.com recently released a repop 70-73 dash pad.  Not cheap, but bolt in easy!  I have used the plastic dash caps before, looked decent for the money spent!

On 7/22/2020 at 11:12 AM, Lockleaf said:

Might not be of use to you, but i refurbished my 510 goon dash mat a little while back.  I filled the cracks, then wrapped it completely with a thin yoga mat, then upholstered it in black marine grade vinyl.

If you want the details, see my build thread. Dash top starts pretty far down page 14.

Went and looked at the making....Nice work Buddy.  It turned out great!!  I have used this method for recovering motorcycle seats.