Hood closing rubbers

pidge

Don’t know what else to call them..on the advice of another member I thought what the heck mine are wrecked. I bought a set of hood cushions labeled for a Datsun Roadster. As I figured they didn’t exactly fit without some preparation. In the end I had to largin the hole to 3/8 to make them fit. Not a big deal in my mind. Got something that dose the job and know ones the wiser. Sorry can’t remember off the top of my mind who suggested these. After makin the hole bigger they fit and the hood rests on them. I’m happy. Thanks to the old school cat that suggested this....I’m happy, it worked!!

-Pidge

A5E8605B-39F2-4E50-88E4-511F528DD1CD.jpeg

30054AEE-0636-4C98-8FE3-8F8A589CA2BE.jpeg

3F942885-3215-4EF1-AAD5-9DD8BF06264B.jpeg

C8D2CAFE-A4C7-4811-A609-F3C93F43C131.jpeg

C5C77A99-9365-4051-B0F2-A570AD860D57.jpeg

BA94DC15-474A-437E-B22E-6BD2FF0BB21A.jpeg

BD341201-D862-4EBE-BAAD-EF3FD0E19642.png

Edited by pidge
Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m happy. I got rid of the old stuff and put something in that didn’t quite work at first blush, but made it work. Sorry again I can’t remember who suggested these may fit, but thanks again. It was in recent months. Thank you. Hopefully this helps someone out. It worked out good for me. Thanks to Ratsun. 
-Pidge 

Edited by pidge
  • Like 1

The wedge shaped roadster hood bumpers look the same the rear hood bumpers for a 521, but the front ones are different.   The front hood bumpers on a 521 had a block shape that also held the hood at the correct height.  The front bumpers are NLA,

No Longer Available.  This is a solution for that problem, using hood bumpers from a late model Ford car or truck.  They has a M6-1.0 thread.

FordHoodBump1.JPG

Ford has them screwed onto these parts.

FordHoodBump2.JPG

But I ended up just using washers and nuts.

M6-1Nuts.JPG

I drilled these holes in the top of the radiator core support.

LfHoodBumpHole.JPG

This is the Ford hood bumper in the hole on the right side of the core support.

RtHoodBumpHole.JPG

This is the underside of that hood bumper.  I ended up using a nylon insert lock nut on the bottom of the mounting surface, because I could tighten the top nut by holding the hood bumper.

FordHoodBump4.JPG

The end of the Ford hood bumper bolt stuck down into the space occupied by the headlights, so I trimmed this much off the end of the bolt.

FordHoodBump0.JPG

By screwing the two nuts on the hood bumper up and down you can adjust the height of the front of the hood.   You want to adjust the height of the hood to gently rest on the bumpers, lightly.  If you position the bumpers too high against the hood, it makes the hood difficult to close, and put too much tension on the hood catch, making releasing the hood difficult, and a lot of pull is needed on the hood release cable.   The center hood catch with the cone shaped pin is also adjustable, and if it is too tight, again the hood release is difficult.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like that a lot Daniel. If I ever make it to a scrap yard and remember this I’ll be grabbing some. I totally understand what you mean regarding the height and tightness of the release cable. 
-Pidge

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, dat521gatherer said:

I bought a set of those and they are a bitch to get installed. In the end I think I used 4 of the triangle looking ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Literally just finished doing some of these on the wagon.

Used a couple plastic wedge/trim tools

A Headlight.

More than a few curse words.

And some Vaseline.

The last pat=rt made it so much easier.

One thing I’ve found that works great on rubber items that have to slip on or into something is dish soap. It adds the lubrication and afterwards dry up. I did try it on my hood pieces, but like I posted before was unsuccessful and ended up drilling out the hole to 3/8” diameter. 
-Pidge

• Like 1