exhaust exit opinions?

datsunfish

I got a job at an exhaust shop and on the second day we did full 2" pipe and a stainless Borla muffler on my 620 from the header back. The muffler was a take off and free.

Friday is my day off so I am going in to do the exhaust on my 521. I am using a 1 in 2 out flowmaster and am not sure where I want to exit the 2 pipes. I could angle 1 out behind each of the rear tires,twin out on the passenger side rear of the wheel or 2 straight out the back. Its still a 4 banger so I dont want to fake a v8 or v6 but I want to get the best look. Just looking for opinions.

I am running twin mikunis and this is going to sound sweet. Not looking to be discrete but also dont want to look like a poser.:cool:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the stock look but when going the modified route I like one pipe angle out the back, like up and to the left. I don't know how that would look on a truck though so I think it may be better if you decide :D hehe

That is gonna sound killa! Either way I think would b cool. Out each side behind the wheel @ a double angle:cool: Str8 out the back side by side under the tailite:cool: St8 out the back on either side:eek: Str8 up outta the bed rite behind the cab Semi Style:blink: :fu:

can i come down when i have $$ and have exhaust done???? on my 620???? i HATE the "cherry bomb" thats on it.

Hell yeah. I could get you a good discount and probably snake a take off muffler so all you gotta do is say you brought your own and pay discounted labor.

Hell yeah. I could get you a good discount and probably snake a take off muffler so all you gotta do is say you brought your own and pay discounted labor.

sweet! i will have to do that once my 620 is running properly. i thikn i have an exhaust leak anyway. even though i SHOULD replace the floor pans first but..... i like exhaust.

sweet! i will have to do that once my 620 is running properly. i thikn i have an exhaust leak anyway. even though i SHOULD replace the floor pans first but..... i like exhaust.

Let me know when you can get about $100 and we can probably do the whole thing from the mani back. 620s are cool since the fuel tank is on the passenger side so its basically a straight shot. Unlike the 521. Thats gonna be a bear.

ill let yah no when i get a hundred bucks ill bye breakfast on saturday i wonder if theyll take a bad check

Wish I could make the ratsun breakfast. I dont get saturday off for 6 weeks. Its a stupid rotation thing but at least sat is only 6 hrs. The rest are 9 and I work at an auto shop with tons of hookups to make it worth the lousy pay. I really wanted a job at a body shop to get some bling done but I will settle for this for now.haha

Of course they will take your check. The thing is that they will send it back to you NFA. You should have some gvmnt $$ rollin right?

For such a 'loud' muffler run as long a tail pipe as you can. Over the rear end and out the back. Something symmetrical and not too close together, maybe under the tail lights. You said you don't want to look V8 or poser so turn the tips downward slightly. Straight out does look kind of 'I DID THIS' while most all factory are turned down just a bit. Bare pipe no ricer tips and discretely placed looks the best. Overlooked by most but noticeable to a ratsuner as he checks out your ride.

Wish I could make the ratsun breakfast. I dont get saturday off for 6 weeks. Its a stupid rotation thing but at least sat is only 6 hrs. The rest are 9 and I work at an auto shop with tons of hookups to make it worth the lousy pay. I really wanted a job at a body shop to get some bling done but I will settle for this for now.haha

Of course they will take your check. The thing is that they will send it back to you NFA. You should have some gvmnt $$ rollin right?

well you can come work at my auto body shop will make your cars bling and no government money yet im gettin hungry
I got a job at an exhaust shop and on the second day we did full 2" pipe and a stainless Borla muffler on my 620 from the header back. The muffler was a take off and free.

Friday is my day off so I am going in to do the exhaust on my 521. I am using a 1 in 2 out flowmaster and am not sure where I want to exit the 2 pipes. I could angle 1 out behind each of the rear tires,twin out on the passenger side rear of the wheel or 2 straight out the back. Its still a 4 banger so I dont want to fake a v8 or v6 but I want to get the best look. Just looking for opinions.

I am running twin mikunis and this is going to sound sweet. Not looking to be discrete but also dont want to look like a poser.:cool:

Dude, make up some systems and sell. 2" or 2 1/2" would be great! Is the bender computer controlled? Just get it to remember all the bends.

Dude, make up some systems and sell. 2" or 2 1/2" would be great! Is the bender computer controlled? Just get it to remember all the bends.

I was thinking about that. If I do a 620 with a 1600 mani All I really need to do is get the front pipe down. There not comp controlled but Anything beyond the front is cake. I think we even have matching mani flange plates.

I was looking at the truck today and I think I have an idea. There is a lot of space behind the rear wheels. Under the tailgate area is kinda busy with the split bumperettes and all. What I might do is,2 1/4" from the mani to the muffler right ahead of the axle on the pass side and run 1 3/4" out the dual exit and equal the pipe behind the pumpkin and drop them out ahead of the bumperettes with a slight angle back and down but not sitting more than 1" out past the bed line and 2" from the bottom. Maybe 3/4 the length from the wheel to the bumper corner back.

Sounds good. What I have always dreamed of is the dual down pipe made into a totally dual system all the way back. Get rid of the spare tire and mount the mufflers back there just inside the frame rails with short tail pipes or tips.

My '78 L20B had the wrong manifold for this so it never went any further. But now I have a Z24 and they went back to the dual manifold with the dual down pipes joining at the first bend. With 400cc extra displacement and the dual pipe to begin with, I think it's time has come.

Well I got it done today. My wife took the camera so I got no pics yet. The tone is nice and mellow at idle but kinda noisy at high rps. Dropping off from a high rev gets a super buzzy crappy noise. I think I will drop in some glasspacks to mellow it out a bit. I dropped each out behind the rear wheels. No tips yet since I might have to re do some of it. I did however spend some time and routed it around the tranny so I can remove it as necessary. I will get some pics this weekend. Its a damn tight fit and was quite hard to weld some of the joints but it was good practice before I tackle some customer rigs. Thanks for all the input. I will get some pics up soon.