Replacing strut inserts without removing lower suspension bits

Unmodified ZX struts and TTT GT2X control arms/TC rods, I have new (used) tokiko blues to install.  Before I get started I figured I'd ask if anyone has tried or knows second hand if I can be a lazy ass and get away with removing old insert and installing new ones without dismounting camber plates from car and removing minimal to no bottom hardware?

Edited by TheBirdistheWord
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's going to happen. If unmodified they'll have the original oil filled dampers and there's no way to empty them in the car and no way to pull them up through the camber plates.. 

First, raise both wheels off the ground so everything droops. This uncompresses the spring as much as possible.

Do a Hainz suggested, unbolt the caliper and wire out of the way, take the 3 bolts off the top hat/camber plate, then the two bolts going up into the strut bottom holding the steering knuckle to it. 

The lower control arm is usually stiff but will swing down enough for the strut bottom to pop outward and the tophat to drop down and out of the strut tower. You may have to step on or pry the LCA downward to help. I found a zx recently in the air but rims on. I took them off and cut the brake lines and 7-10 minutes each to remove. 

I loosen the large single nut that holds the spring compressed. I lay the top hat down and brace against something that won't move and finish unscrewing the nut. When it parts, the strut tube jumps about two feet away on the lawn. I thought it would fly over the fence but no. However you sure don't want to have it standing upright looking down on it when it comes undone. That's a tophat you don't want to wear.

If the coilovers are like the 280ZX set up on my 1200 you can undo the center nut at the top of the strut rod and the whole assembly will slide out of the camber plate. You will have to undo the two bolts that hold the strut onto the computer control arm as well as the slider pin bolts for the brake caliper.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, Tom1200 said:

If the coilovers are like the 280ZX set up on my 1200 you can undo the center nut at the top of the strut rod and the whole assembly will slide out of the camber plate. You will have to undo the two bolts that hold the strut onto the computer control arm as well as the slider pin bolts for the brake caliper.

This was exactly how I was thinking of doing it! Thanks for the input. I'll snap some photos when I get to it. I have to set the rear toe and install some T3 tierods. Hoping to get it all done in a day

• 1 year later...

Forgot to update this, and lost my photos of the process.  Removed top nut from the strut to save alignment as well as calipers and I was able to remove inserts and install new ones.  

One thing to note though, if I had stock lower arms and bushings it would probably be necessary to remove lower strut mounts and steering knuckle. Minimum remove tie rod from the knuckle as I don't think the arm would articulate enough to swing the strut out for insert maintenance.