Swap a 1982 4wd z22 into a 1985 4wd with z24 originally

Jda222221

I got a 1982 720 with z22 about a year ago for a couple hundred and a load of horse manure. Pot growing country! It has a bent frame so I set it aside for a swap. Around x mas I found a 1985 720 in great shape with brand new tires and a one family owner. Father in law bought brand new in 85 and was passed on to son in law. The engine was toast from being run with blown HG. First time I have seen coolant come out first when draining oil:). I have spent past 3 weeks doing the swap. My first time doing an engine swap. It started right up and sounded good. My gearbox seemed like it had moved a little bit towards passenger but I took it for a test drive. I found out, after switching into 4wd that passenger cv axle was barely touching my oil pan. It put a tiny gouge in the pan but I made it home, had switched on 4and to get up the non maintained driveway. I spent all day yesterday adjusting the motor mounts and adding shims but to no avail. I have the motor centered and my gear box feels normal now, but the pan is still barely rubbing. At this point I am stumped, I am planning on jb welding the tiny hole and then just driving to my buddies an hr away so we can completely fabricate custom mounts. I was hoping I could use shims and bring him a reference mount. Are the z22 and z24s oil pans shaped differently? From what I can tell they look identical. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you mistakenly got the two engine brackets switched?

The pilot bushings are the same and were used on all ... J,  L, Z, SD and LD diesels, CA, CD, KA, VG, SR, 350z and on, maybe even being used today. Only Datsun not using it were the A series engines

For some reason I was thinking they changed around 83 the el cheapo clutch kit must've came with the wrong pilot bearing as it was apparently very undersized. I know the throw out bearing as a unit changed as well as the front bearing diameter in the tranny.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

A Z22 2wd oil pan is totally different from a Z24 4x4 oil pan. Swap the 4x4 oil pan and the pick up tube onto the Z22.

Guess I should have read the title of this post more better.

So both are 4x4 so it should be fine. What about the left and right engine brackets swapped?

Nissan used and is probably still using this same pilot on just about everything. Easier to list the engines that don't use it. When something works it's advantageous to use it on everything rather that re-invent the wheel for every engine. I have '84 Maxima struts and when the wheel bearings started to growl I pulled the ones from my '76 710 and put them on. 

49 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Guess I should have read the title of this post more better.

So both are 4x4 so it should be fine. What about the left and right engine brackets swapped?

Nissan used and is probably still using this same pilot on just about everything. Easier to list the engines that don't use it. When something works it's advantageous to use it on everything rather that re-invent the wheel for every engine. I have '84 Maxima struts and when the wheel bearings started to growl I pulled the ones from my '76 710.

So I should switch the left and the right one? I can't because the left has 2 holes and the right has 3. The mounts appear the same but I think the square mounting surface welded to the frame may have a slightly different angle. I jb welded the tiny hole in the pan and adjusted the mounts a bit, also added shims. Still not clearing the axle/diff completely but it was relieving because it's running so nice! I am sure I might get some heat for the jb weld fix....but I had to get it running to do anything about the mounts. My buddy with welding equipment lives an hour away. I'll be out there this weekend to get this figured out! Fyi I didnt swap anything but the motor. The clutch, flywheel, pressure plate are all z22. The TOB and transmission are original z24. I am trying to upload a pic with url from my.google drive. Not having much luck. What does everybody else use as their photo host?

I don't have photos to back up my thoughts, but I'm almost certain the 4x4 oil pans are different between the z22 and z24 also. The 80 (unique year altogether) then 81-82 utilized a different front suspension. The cv shafts were also different lengths (and spline diameter) from the later 83-86 suspension. Different length shafts, to me, would make it seem like the differential would be offset differently. I think the pans for the three different year sets are different from one another. It's just a hunch I guess..

4 hours ago, SLO720 said:

I don't have photos to back up my thoughts, but I'm almost certain the 4x4 oil pans are different between the z22 and z24 also. The 80 (unique year altogether) then 81-82 utilized a different front suspension. The cv shafts were also different lengths (and spline diameter) from the later 83-86 suspension. Different length shafts, to me, would make it seem like the differential would be offset differently. I think the pans for the three different year sets are different from one another. It's just a hunch I guess..

I think you're right. I know the cv axles are different because you can't find aftermarket ones until 83. Any ideas on how to handle this? Looking like doing custom motor mounts might not be the fix I am looking for. 

Edited by Jda222221

bXXCoJM.jpg

This is my '80 4x4 oil pan. Note the differential was on the right and the deepest side of the pan on the left or driver's side. The Z series all have the opposite with the differential on the left and the bulge in the oil pan on the right. Also look at the oil pan to block angle. This is for an L20B which leans to the right about 12 degrees.  The Z series is much closer to vertical and why swapping the engine brackets is a real worry as they are not that different side to side. Between the Z22 and Z24 you have two sets of brackets and the rubber isolater.  Maybe the rubber is thinner or thicker. I see no reason why the pan would rub anything. Compare them. The Z24 is 2cm or 3/4" taller than the Z22 but it's all in the upper block below the head.

There are left and right CV joints with different lengths because of the differential off set. They can't be swapped side to side but you can swap the '80 CVs to the opposite side for use in the '81 and up trucks.

1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

What happened to the z24 pan that came with the 85? That will bolt up to the z22 and should sit in the right place. I went the other way once and swapped a z24 in place of the 22 on my 82. The 22 pan bolted to the 24 just fine. To say these oil pans are an odd shape is an understatement.

Right!? My neighbor called that lip a shelf. I have the oil pan set aside with the 85 engine. Thank you, this is the info I was looking for

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not done this swap, but on swaps, like this, I always use the oil pickup that the pan originally had. In other words, if swapping the pan from another engine, take the oil pickup as well. I would use the dipstick designed for that pan also.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...