My 74 620...You OG's will probably recognize it...

Old RC Rich

Hi All,

Well i was fortunate to have the opportunity to pick up this 74 620 this past October. Many of you long timers will recognize it as "Walter" from Project Car magazine back in the day. It was sold about 8 years ago to my buddy Steve from RPM Garage who proceeded to bag it, redo the interior, Pandem kit and Barramundi wheels for the 2017 SEMA show.

I was having Steve do work on my Tacoma 4x4 when i found out he owned this truck. I joked with him that i would love to own it some day..and well, he decided it was just sitting too long in his backyard and was time for a new home. 

I've been doing my research to learn as much about this truck that to this day still runs solid. The suspension and brakes need some work that i will get too in time. For now, all i did was update the seatbelts for safety reasons, new battery, pedals and replaced the signal lenses that were cracked...not OG but they look better than the broken ones lol. This is my first Datsun since my 73 240 I had when i was in high school in 1986, so it's exciting to be back in a Datsun. 

Just thought i'd share and update you guys if you we wondering what happened to Walter. 

Rich

Rich49382890516_dd0273ed60_o.jpg

49382426613_06b3dc6dff_o.jpg

49382426653_d852f8f190_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, klam07 said:

The barramundi wheels look great. I remember right around the time that company formed and were promoting on Instagram. They looked great on Hondas too

I wonder what kind of setup the truck has to get it to 5-lug

Lots of spacers/adapters...one of my goals is to eliminate the spacers and somehow keep these wheels (rebarreled?). 

Hm. I don't think Barramundi makes 6 bolt faces, at least for that style. So you'd be stuck with 5lug if you kept those wheels.

Could do one of those complicated methods to get a proper 5-lug set up going - but then you'd need to either:

a) spacers to get the same offset as currently, or b) rebarrel to correct width n offset.

I feel like in the end you either run into the same issue of using spacers, or you spend more than the wheels are worth converting to 5lug n rebarreling things.

Nice wheels, but are they that nice? (short answer: kind of, yeah) 😛

I say if it aint broken, don't change it! The stance looks perfect imo, and the wheels are unique.

14 hours ago, Old RC Rich said:

Hi All,

Well i was fortunate to have the opportunity to pick up this 74 620 this past October. Many of you long timers will recognize it as "Walter" from Project Car magazine back in the day.

49382426613_06b3dc6dff_o.jpg

Never saw the article but I love that interior, it looks like someone took the time to recover the dash with material and sewed it around the gauge panel to match the seat?

• Like 1