620 Cowl Crap .....How To Stop It?

I have to leave my console loose because of all leaves  that get through the cowl slots
and get into the heater squirrel cage and whine like a bitch !!!!!!
Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem ?

I don't have money flying out of my butt, so I have no covered area to park it in,
not now,  or for the last 32 yrs I have had it.  Not Yet.
Everywhere has  Water Oak leaves, etc. that get into the heater core & fan box, and fresh air intakes in the dash through the cowl slots.........
32 yrs.......

I had the cowl off and painted it just before my divorce in 1997. Cleaned it all out underneath & painted.
I took the cowl off to repair some paint damage and the space under the cowl was full of debris.
Leaves, Oak flowers, bugs ...on & on..... It was hand fulls of shit, organic debris from trees.
I used hands, , leaf blower, compressed air and the water hose to finally get it all out
WHAT TO DO ?????? ~~~~Screen, Hardware Cloth.... HELP !!!!!!
I gotta stop this shit from getting in there.
Thanks Guys

Edited by Goemon
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The old British MGB's had the same issue, everybody buys a custom fitted SCREEN from a British parts supplier.  Buy a good quality piece of steel "mesh"/screen, stainless would be great cuz it wouldn't rust & would look good.  Today's automotive epoxies are great...........just epoxy it to the underside of the cowl, under the slots.  Good luck with the project!

TJ

• Like 1

Most fly screens are fiberglass now I think. All hardware stores sell galvanized screen in all sizes of weave. You cowl cover comes right off so flip upside down and glue a strip on the under side.

I get maple keys and pine needles where I am. (Acer Japonicus) real small keys and have to park under it.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, angliagt said:

Hey TJ! - How ya been?

- Doug

Doing well, out here in Denver 7 years now!  Hmmmmm........Doug in Roanoke with British cars?  Do we know each other thru British or Datsun?

My Wife had her job eliminated,& we have kids in Eastern Virginia,

so we ended up here.Had to sell off  the B210, & all the parts.

Rather than carry on a conversation here,you can PM me. 

I do know that they make  stainless expanded metal.

I have not looked for any yet, but I had a small piece a long time ago.
GE makes a silicone glue that cures fast and is tough.

I have thought about  using neodymium magnets on steel screen so they could 
be removed & cleaned or changed with ease.  
A few  quarter sized ones have a lot of strength.

I tried using galvanized window screen and magnets but if you know anything about magnetism,
the galvanized steel screen detracts the power of the magnet to adhere the screen to the cowl.
"Super Flexible Super Magnetic Screen" would be a great invention for this application.

So far I have found it does not exist.....yet........!

I was at the hardware store and asked for vinyl  window screen, they discontinued it, and I got
several sq. ft. on a roll for 3 bucks. The Vinyl screen is more forgiving and much more easy to work with & cheap & will not rust.
Using the NEOs the screen can be pulled taut and fastened with more NEOs.
It looks good on top of the cowl and can be cut with scissors  to fit, easily changed and I have a whole roll.

100 mm is almost 4 ",  so I took a chance and ordered a few of these, maybe I will get them......
See how these work on one side.......
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100x10x5mm-N50-Long-Cuboid-Block-Bar-Super-Strong-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets/392266132439?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649