• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check that you have NGK spark plugs in it. They are the factory plugs and the best fit and running. Are they snug? but don't over tighten them.

Look up the ZDDP controversy and decide if you can trust the oil makers with your vintage Datsun engine. Every year the anti scuff zinc content is lowered and although they say today's oils are reverse compatible with older engines, I'm not buying it. Instead I run 15w40 diesel oil such as Shell Rotella T4 although for Chicago 10w30 might be better for the winter. Chevron Delo 400 is also good as are any after market oils marked 'Racing'. All have ZDDP levels compatible with oils made when your 710 was built. Our 'flat tappet' cams need this extra protection from scuffing that I don't thinktoday's oils provide.

I don't advise any synthetic oils as they are too expensive, provide more protection that you will ever need and they tend to begin leaking past old oil seals and gaskets.

Loose the fram filter, they are extremely poorly made with inferior parts. Instead get a WIX or NAPA Gold. 

I just sold my 74 automatic.   

Mine leaks like that on my 510

if dont over heat and drives then I would say its OK.

I cant see the drivers side for the type of exhaust manifold as some are the mated type where the intake is bolted to the exhaust manifold(I HATE these) but otherwise  it simple to change a head gasket. Get the timming chain wedge for a L series. I think Amazon has these.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

That type of leakage is not uncommon. As previously stated, if the spark plugs are tight, it runs ok and doesn't overheat, or have oil in water/water in oil, it should be fine. Many miles on an old tech motor like this means that the rings are likely worn, causing blow-by at the rings, and the pressure is pushing the mist out of the spark plugs.

Could also be a leaky fuel pump, or  the oil galley plug in the cylinder head is loosening, or it's simply dripping down from the two valve cover bolts on that side. Remember too that a radiator cooling fan will push a leak rearward.

• Like 1

Gotta take a moment and thanks all of you providing input.

Yes, it is the same car as BAT. Local guy bought it for a collection back in 2015 but haven't touched it in 3 years. The guy is a true JDM enthusiast who has way too many cars and need to make space in his shop. It's still around the 23xxx mile mark (regardless of rolling over or not). Asking $4950 which I honestly have no idea if it's fair. 

2 hours ago, CyberDatsun said:

Gotta take a moment and thanks all of you providing input.

Yes, it is the same car as BAT. Local guy bought it for a collection back in 2015 but haven't touched it in 3 years. The guy is a true JDM enthusiast who has way too many cars and need to make space in his shop. It's still around the 23xxx mile mark (regardless of rolling over or not). Asking $4950 which I honestly have no idea if it's fair. 

I don't think that price is ridiculous,maybe a little high but that car looks to be in great shape.Everything but the carb looks original.That means a lot.

if owner originally paid $2600. ( at auction) plus say $1000. shipping from Orange California,,  to Illinois,  he really isn't "cashing in" asking  $4950. 

Would i haggle him so hard,  and often he wishes he never put car up for sale... you bet your ass..  I would definitely bring a business card refrigerator magnet with you when you go look at it again.. in search of thick bondo covered parts of body. 

Disclaimer i really only hate 710s marginally more than  77-79 200sx  so my opinion isn't based on being a fan of car,, but everything nice has gotten pretty spendy these days. 

I would assume shipping was a fair bit more than $1000. but that's just a even number. 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, john510 said:

Really ? so what's it worth Mike ? You left out tires and the oil that came with it from the factory.

The stock oil filter isn't orange either. These are high wear items. My '74 had the original muffler on it.

VggJkMi.jpg