dead hazard switch

oukippy

Hello,

I think I've found why my turn signals are not working. My hazard switch is broken as you can see on the following pictures.

I think I've read somewher on ratsun that the turn signal can't work without the hazard switch. Could someone confirm it ?

Obviously I need to replace the switch. Any good info in order to buy the good one (I think the OEM part number is 25596-B5500 as my car was produced in 11/76) ?

Thank you !

oukippy

1549817017-51575816-3591027734255629-281

1549817030-51777671-801925353500681-2628

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

subsidiary question: the wipper button is missing a ring and it's tricky to push it without it because the whole switch is moving :

1549817022-51924581-351454079029766-1016

First question, is it possible to remove the black knob to try to put a simple metal ring?

Second question : is it possible to find the original ring and is it the same as the one for the headlights ?

Thanks!

• Like 1

1549817030-51777671-801925353500681-2628

The 4 way connects ALL the bulbs together where the turn must separate left from right. When the 4 way is in the OFF position, the turn signals flasher is connected to it's fuse. When in the ON position the turn flasher is disconnected and the left and right bulbs all joined together to the 4 way flasher unit.

If you don't have another 4 way switch handy just now, you can just mechanically connect the turn signals so you can use them.... but the 4 ways won't work. You can fix them later.

In the picture above, join the Green wires together on the lower section. The upper wire bundle should be wrapped in electrical tape for now.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The 4 way connects ALL the bulbs together where the turn must separate left from right. When the 4 way is in the OFF position, the turn signals flasher is connected to it's fuse. When in the ON position the turn flasher is disconnected and the left and right bulbs all joined together to the 4 way flasher unit.

If you don't have another 4 way switch handy just now, you can just mechanically connect the turn signals so you can use them.... but the 4 ways won't work. You can fix them later.

In the picture above, join the Green wires together on the lower section. The upper wire bundle should be wrapped in electrical tape for now.

Ok, I'll try to summarize it in my own words in order to see if I understood correctly:

1. I buy a brand new switch because I'll probably need it someday, at least for the technical inspection i need the car to pass for the car registration in France.

2. I wrap the upper wires in electrical tape as it is on the picture, no cut needed (upper wires are defined by their position on the picture).

3. I cut the 2 lower green wires and join them in order to have my turn signals working.

4. I plug the 2 connectors at the other end of the cable.

After that, I should be able to use the turn signals for left or right turns. Of course 4 way will be impossible to use as there will be no knob for that (?) and technically because the 4 way flasher unit will never be connected.

Did I catch it correctly ?

Additional question because I didn't see them working at all : turn signals are working only when the ignition key is on start or do I need to completely start the engine ? 

(it seems to me it's a silly question but I do my best! )

• Like 1

Sorry I just have the schematic. It shows the Green wire connects to the other Green wire. The internal placement of the switch contacts may be complicated. Find the two solid Green wires and connect them and that should do it. 

Looks like there is one on each of those boards. Turn your turn signal on and touch the two green wires together, and the flashing turn should tell you that it's working.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oukippy said:

Yes, I saw it. Shipping cost is very expensive (more than the switch itself).

It will probably be my second option.

Ya I remember you have that shipping issue.... I've paid like that for somethings before.... I factor it into the cost... when it's the only one you can find and it's what you need you pay.... and then usually find 2 more for half the price a week later...... 

• Like 1
On 2/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, Charlie69 said:

oukippy I will look this weekend to see if I have any of the 620 4 way flasher switches.  If I do all I will need is an address to ship it to you.  I will let you know by Sunday evening if I have one.

Thank you very much Charlie69! I'm trying to repair mine with a friend's help but I'm not sure it will be enough. I'm waiting for earing from you !!!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Welcome to classic car ownership. Some things are just impossible to find. Or expense not justified. For everything else you just have to fix or make your own or substitute something else. Sometimes you can locate one later.

Also what's the worse your gonna do ... "fix it".... it was already broken....

Nice job....

• 5 years later...