Looking for mechanic

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and restoration shops do restoration work.

Seriously though, it's not uncommon for a body shop to take on a restoration and fuck up all the mechanical stuff in the process.

Question is, what do you mean by restoration? My definition of restoration is the industry definition. Homeowners seem to interpret the term differently.

Fresno area? I do not know anyone, but if you want to travel  four hours north, I do that kind of work. If you don't mind waiting a bit.

@banzai510(hainz) the truck that I have is free of rust and want to make it a mini truck, the engine runs and transmission works and I like the body style. 

@Stoffregen Motorsports thanks for the info. I don't driving up there. Yes I can wait, my school started this week and with a full time work, I wont have time till summer anyways. Until then I will send you a message of facebook and work out more details. 

• Like 1

@banzai510(hainz) I runs and drives, but at times, loose power, revs too high, has many other issues, and I don't have the expertise and tools to do it. I have done enough to make it run and drive but don't have the confidence to drive it on the freeway. I have taken it to a few mechanics and either they don't want to touch it or asking too much even when they don't have experience with old Nissan. 

This is because YOU know as much as they do about working on them. If you get someone to work on it you will be paying them to learn and THEY get to keep that. It's far better to learn about it yourself and you get to keep that knowledge and take it with YOU!!! Take your time and fix it up bit by bit.  Knowledge builds upon knowledge and pretty soon you'll be pulling the head off and doing a valve job or re-building the carb.    

Wjhat's the going rate for a mechanic per hour??? For that you could buy some sockets and wrenches. Get the FSM factory service manual of the '84 720... not a Haynes or Chilton's, the real factory one from Nissan. Usually $20 on e-Bay. Pays for itself as soon as you turn the first page.

Welcome to vintage car ownership. You want something fixed?.... better learn to do it yourself.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

It's been a while since the OP's last update but just in case:

I happen to have a space in Fresno and while I have more projects than time, I'm willing to have a look in the spirit of Datsun solidarity.

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, datzenmike said:

This is because YOU know as much as they do about working on them. If you get someone to work on it you will be paying them to learn and THEY get to keep that. It's far better to learn about it yourself and you get to keep that knowledge and take it with YOU!!! Take your time and fix it up bit by bit.  Knowledge builds upon knowledge and pretty soon you'll be pulling the head off and doing a valve job or re-building the carb.    

Wjhat's the going rate for a mechanic per hour??? For that you could buy some sockets and wrenches. Get the FSM factory service manual of the '84 720... not a Haynes or Chilton's, the real factory one from Nissan. Usually $20 on e-Bay. Pays for itself as soon as you turn the first page.

Welcome to vintage car ownership. You want something fixed?.... better learn to do it yourself.

You know you have a problem when the mechanic picked to work on your vehicle is younger than your car !  Fix it yourself and learn something in the process.

The older vehicle glove box manuals were much better.  My 1967 Datsun's manual included the complete wiring diagram and the adjustment procedure for the Hitachi "SU" carbs.