L16 big bore

Eriks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can put a L-18 crankshaft in an L-16.  Stroking an engine will add more "grunt" to an engine than the same displacement increase by boring the engine,

The L-18 engine will also bolt right in the car. 

If you can get a L-20-B engine, put that in the car.  There are minor fit issues with a L-20-B, because the block is taller, about 3/4 of an inch, or 19 MM.

Because the block is taller on a L-20-B, even if you use the same exhaust manifold that came off the L-16, that will move the front of the exhaust pipe closer to the the floor of the car.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 1

I agree that L20B would be nicer. The problem is that we do not have L20Bs here. I could import one from overseas, as I did with for my 610 SSS, but the end cost ...

What we do have here are L16s and L18s. Furthermore regulations are strict, so I can not get the car approved with anything bigger than a L16.

That is, the engine has to appear to be a L16.

2mm cut off the walls all the way round the bore is.... a lot. But if you bore to 87mm and get VG30 pistons, and if you can find L13 rods you're in business. Place the VG30 piston tops down on sand paper and remove 0.5mm and it will fit.

This will make a 1,752cc engine displacement with 10.58 compression with a stock L16 head. However there is lots of room for opening up the shrouding around the valves and this will drop the compression to a manageable level. An open chamber L18 or L20B head would be 9.37 compression

• Like 1

I could, but usually I might condense several rambling posts into one. Sometimes a post is obviously abandoned... like a quote but then no comment or the poster erased his comment and it's blank. I would  delete this, as it has zero value and besides wasting space it looks untidy. Again usually I would hide a contentious post from view that can only be seen by other mods. This way it can be un-hidden later if needs be. 

Perhaps there is a second post like this somewhere. https://ratsun.net/topic/74593-l20b-vs-l18-pulley/?tab=comments#comment-1587071

• Like 1