SU Carbs... Not all flat-tops are bad, eh?

RacnJsn95

Some years ago, when I was big into Z cars, I noticed a set of "strange" SU carbs on ebay. They were listed as being off an early 240z, but they were flat tops. I was going to shine them on, but I noticed that they weren't your typical square mouth flat-top SU that people tend to junk in favor of the round tops. Upon closer inspection of the pictures, they appeared to be a normal round mouth SU carb, with flat-top dashpots. I wasn't sure if the dashpots were interchangeable, but I bid to win, and didn't have much competition, and won them complete with manifold & linkage for about 75 dollars shipped to my door.

I contacted Z therapy about them, they they turned out to be JDM carbs off an early fairlady with an L20a. They have a smaller bore than the Z or 510 carbs.

I bet they'd be killer on an L4!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey a question for ya guys...

i scored a working set of SU's off an old volvo ( i think it was a 120 or sumthin)

theyre different than the SU's i've seen on datsuns though, the float bow is on the bottom of the carb and not bolted to the side like the ones i've seen... has anyone played around with these before?

i'll try and find pics here...

hey a question for ya guys...

i scored a working set of SU's off an old volvo ( i think it was a 120 or sumthin)

theyre different than the SU's i've seen on datsuns though, the float bow is on the bottom of the carb and not bolted to the side like the ones i've seen... has anyone played around with these before?

i'll try and find pics here...

It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend them. The Hitachis are a better design IMHO.