Restoration 72 521

CliffClive

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a common place to have rust on all these old Datsun trucks, I just rebuilt them areas on both sides of my L320 truck.

All this is what needs to be dealt with on old Datsun trucks, but once you know them they can be fixed/jury rigged out on the road when they break down to get you home so they can be fixed properly.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, wayno said:

That is a common place to have rust on all these old Datsun trucks, I just rebuilt them areas on both sides of my L320 truck.

All this is what needs to be dealt with on old Datsun trucks, but once you know them they can be fixed/jury rigged out on the road when they break down to get you home so they can be fixed properly.

I wanted so badly to find a 320, you are lucky, every single one that I found looked like it was taken apart piece by piece and turned into shotgun targets. But in the NW rust never stops. I have to attack the engine bay here shortly before it becomes a major problem. Prolly not making it easy on myself trying to keep things as true to OG as possible. I might put an L20B in there and hook up a 5 speed. Other than the discs I put on the front last Spring, I am going to keep it as close to “stock” as I can. 

• Like 1

The spot welds are where ever the person spot welding the panel on at the factory in the first place put them.  My personal opinion is that when Nissan was training new workers to spot weld, they were first allowed to work on 521 trucks, then 510 wagons, and when they were really good, they worked on the 240Z.

Sanding the paint and primer off the flanges where the spot welds are will reveal them.  However, if the panel has been replaced in the past, it may have been brazed on, with brass filler. 

• Like 2

All robotic spot welds now but I did spot weld for a few days at the GM truck plant in '74 (ish) My usual job was spray painting. One part was the rear window. Had to have at minimum 7 spots along the bottom edge. If you got more it was ok. Not exactly much training just ' you have less than 10 seconds (line is moving)... get 7 there and 4 there and don't forget the door sill'...

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Biggs said:

Please tell us more about how you restored your dash.  It looks great and mine needs some love.  

I am with Biggs

Those Datsun dashboards seem to all age and end up looking just like that...I would love to be able to learn how you fixed....so please show us the trick to saving it.

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193
  • Like 2

To me it looks like the dash was covered with a new material, it's hard to do and make it look even, I had a 521 with a tuck and roll dash cover before I replaced it with a 520 dash top.

DSCN0677.jpg

By the time I took this photo of it it had a crease from sitting upside down on something, but it looked alright with the cover and nothing rattled that was sitting on it.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The dash was removed, the peaks were cut, valleys that needed it were filled with foam, and then had a fella in Salem wrap it in vinyl. The creases made for a tight fit and I could see how not doing it very neatly could lead to some serious frustration. I nearly cut one that would have been hidden but suffered through it and got it done without having to trim any vinyl. 

• Like 1