Heater Core source

Aaron707

The heater core in my 1985 720 pickup has started leaking. I've been trying to find a replacement heater core for several days without any luck. Is there any place that sells a replacement still? Or is there a similar core that will fit? Or last, should I just try to have this one rebuilt? Any input or direction on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove and pressure test it to confirm where it's leaking and solder it up. Rad shop could probably do this or maybe find replacement. Find another in a wreckiong yard and replace it yourself.

Could it be...

Loose or split hose?

The stop valve leaking? It's plastic and mounted in line and replaceable.

720stuff025.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the core removed, its leaking only where the plastic ends of the core attach to the copper fingers. The metal is cracked in a few places. I would assume remove the plastic tanks and re-solder the cracked areas? Looked all over for a replacement with no luck so far, I normally just replace these and have never tried to fix one.

• Like 1

The metal ones have fixed positions for the elbows/heater hose connections, yours looks like the elbows can swivel.

OK I looked at Mikes photo with plastic elbows, they both point the same direction, the metal ones I have do not point the same way, one points straight down.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1