Praying Mantis... You guys got em??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't pick this 1 up. He was about 6-7" long. We just chilled a bit. I have picked a few smaller ones up.

Found 1 that was black and brown, In my tool box.:eek: I think he is into Datto's too. He hung out while I was changing some intercooler pipes.

They really are quite laid back. Prolly has somethin to do with here they hang out:D

Seen them in Ontario but not out here on the Island. Many years a go at work on the night shift one flew in to our work area. We caught a fly and held it near, nothing happened. When the fly buzzed it wings the little bugger turned his head and focused his eyes on it. (they have wide spaced eyes for good depth perception) He went into this crouch with front arms up together, like he was preying and bingo, in the blink of an eye he grabbed the fly in his bristly fore arms and proceeded to bight the head off and eat the rest. It was the coolest thing to see.

here a pic of one laying egg sack on the redneck lawn chair wheel about a month ago. Ive always wondered.

IMG_1254.jpg

they can change colors only after they have motted to the color of the enviroment there around. This is also with the new ones when hatching.

I got 2 in my flower bed that are brown in a green enviroment -weird. Since its been getting cold lately, I've not seen them, they do die when its to cold but I'm hoping to find them again and I'm going to put them in a aquarium for the winter to see if it can be done.

I've seen those egg cases before. One was on the inside of a wheel rim. They probably hatch into nymphs in the spring. Cool

Did you know that the female Mantis eats the male during sex???

Edited by datzenmike

but I'm hoping to find them again and I'm going to put them in a aquarium for the winter to see if it can be done.

Cool! Looks like it can be done. The youtube vid you posted looks like an aquarium.

Didn't know they ate animals:eek: Makes them even Cooler..

I didn't pick this 1 up. He was about 6-7" long. We just chilled a bit. I have picked a few smaller ones up.

Found 1 that was black and brown, In my tool box.:eek: I think he is into Datto's too. He hung out while I was changing some intercooler pipes.

They really are quite laid back. Prolly has somethin to do with here they hang out:D

lol, you just "chilled" a bit, hah

We seem to get a few here in Oregon every year. Also seems my son thinks he is the Mantis God. We have one in a 15 gallon tank in the living room right now. I'll take a picture of my little man holding it tomorrow and post it up.

His buddy found one and thought it would be cool to put it with my boys :lol::lol::lol::lol: I tried to tell them it wasn't a good idea. Ours won.:D