240z Seat Covers on 510 Seat?

My drivers seat is so ratty that when I get out of the car I have little pieces of foam stuck to my clothes. My other seats are torn up as well, but at least there is vinyl on them.

I have some points to use up on amazon and stumbled across some 240z seat covers that look like they would fit on my seat.  Does anyone know if the seat cushions are similar enough size to hog ring those covers on?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How handy are you or someone you know with a sewing machine?  slightly over sized seat covers or upholstery can be cut down and resewn.  I went in blind on my RL411 [Thank you Evans Upholstery in Lawndale CA]  and cut and sewed up a totally new and very presentable new front bucket seat reupholstery.  See the result? Yes at the 15 Sept JCCS!

Hey Jon!  No the 510 vs the 240Z seats are VERY different in shape etc, so the 240Z upholstery kit will NOT fit the 510 seat.  If you have 240Z seats already in the car (was a common seat swap back in the day), then just buy the 240Z upholstery kit from MSA or ??  I think there are 3 or 4 different Z car seats, thus different upholstery kits to fit the Z car seat. 

Nobody makes a 510 seat upholstery kit, but any good upholstery shop can recover a 510 seat.

Do you have pics of the seats that you have?

TJ

9 hours ago, yenpit said:

Hey Jon!  No the 510 vs the 240Z seats are VERY different in shape etc, so the 240Z upholstery kit will NOT fit the 510 seat.  If you have 240Z seats already in the car (was a common seat swap back in the day), then just buy the 240Z upholstery kit from MSA or ??  I think there are 3 or 4 different Z car seats, thus different upholstery kits to fit the Z car seat. 

Nobody makes a 510 seat upholstery kit, but any good upholstery shop can recover a 510 seat.

TJ

The only problem I have found is that the standard after market fabrics available to reupholstery shops are heavy on Datsun pickups and have nothing for Datsun sedans.  The sample books ignore us sedans lovers  If you don't mind having period correct but model incorrect, go look in the reupholstery shops sample book.

Yes, I have heard that the 510 upholstery material isn't available!  No big deal for us restomod people, but a pain for those looking to do an original restoration!

On 7/16/2018 at 9:21 AM, yenpit said:

TJ

I don't have any pics.After getting quotes to have my 240z seats reupholstered i threw them away.Close to $1,000 if i remember correctly.I ended up at the junkyard and bought a pair of Mitsubishi ??? can't remember what it was.Size and shape similar to Z seats but with a little more sides to keep you in your seat.They even fit the stock frame rails just by drilling another hole.50 bucks for the pair.

Edited by john510
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same type of scenario.  I have a 72 4 door 510 and the seats needs to be redone.   Besides that, I want to change the color to black.  I haven't sourced anyone around my area yet for reupholstering, but i figure it will be expensive.

• 3 months later...