Suzuki LJ20 continuation...

oh man, can't believe you found a fairly complete LJ20. I'd like to get one but I don't think i'd even touch it if it wasn't 90% complete. I'm sure a nightmare to find parts.

Not really, like here, LJ10.com has came up with alot of FAQs and work-a-rounds to replace the "more" rare parts. Such as using particular Motorcycle pistons as a replacement. Also while there is the "keep it original" owners, there also is alot of owners that swap in other motors, drive trains, and such. One popular swap in the Geo Metro 3 cylinder swap. At the 1st annual meet of owners (the only one we have gotten to attend, was at Silverton Colorado) I saw a LJ20 running such a motor and was actually lifted up to run 33" tires. He let me drive it, was a blast. Also, alot of LJ owners don't just have one, they have parts rigs and such.

Ours, not too sure what is wrong with the engine. There is one guy in Arkansas that rebuilds the engines for a reasonable price and there is another in Washington state that has a provider of parts in Japan. Between the two of them, most any LJ can be gotten back on the road.

We are lucky in the fact that we have the bestop top w/ frame. It is very hard to find and possibly the most valuable thing on the LJ.

One of my possible plans is to either swap in a Motorcycle Motor (HD?) :P or turn it into a electric or semi hybrid vehicle. One person, I've met, was talking of swapping in a Gold Wing Motor and Tranny since it would have reverse. As for turning it electric, it is so light but has space for batteries and possibly a small engine to charge while driving. Who knows, I would say I have to wait until I am retire, but am already there.

I saw one LJ, on the web, that was running a Honda V-twin industrial motor. Was actually less HP, but was sure to be a better running motor.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1146350779055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1146351267055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1272267447055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1272269373055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1378722375055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1378798822055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

Me bringing one down from Engineer Pass. 12,900 feet. This one gave up the ghost due to the fuel jet being too large for the elevation. Rover = fuel injected...:lol: This guy is the owner of LJ10.com and also the importer of parts. He had to eat some crow since he didn't want the Rover to be part of the lineup for the trail run. The "official" photos never included the Rover and I had to bring up the rear and be the "video" person.

1379882517055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1379882760055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1379901001055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

1379903216055934002S600x600Q85.jpg

yeah i've seen that site. Cool stuff. I saw ONE on craigslist here in oregon but it was far away and in many pieces. Thats pretty much the only one i've ever seen for sale.

Hard to find cars. Look good tho. I think the goldwing motor is a good idea. I was just looking at the stats on a gold wing the other day and was wondering why it needed reverse. :lol:

Hopefully you can get that one cleaned up pretty good.

I seen those Suzuki Jeeps in Germany when I was staioned there 85-88.

But still like the Mitshibishi made Jeeps, the CJ3B flat fender High hoods

I spent 4 years in Japan. Was really tempted to bring one of the Mitsubishi Willies home w/ me. They even had 4 door versions of the wagons. But they were extremely high priced. I should have brought home a Japanese Austin Mini. Don't know how that deal was made, but they were very common and said "Austin of Japan" on the back corner or something along those lines.

Thinking back, I think it was "Cooper of Japan."

Edited by kdkg
addition

But still like the Mitshibishi made Jeeps, the CJ3B flat fender High hoods

:blink::blink: AAAHHHHH the CJ3B (High Hood) was made by Willys in '53 and continued into the early '60's. Mitsubishi didn't have anything to do with it.

EDIT: OK, maybe you ment you like them both???? Never heard of Mitsu. Jeep.

Edited by Jester
:blink::blink: AAAHHHHH the CJ3B (High Hood) was made by Willys in '53 and continued into the early '60's. Mitshubishi didn't have anything to do with it.

EDIT: OK, maybe you ment you like them both???? Never heard of Mitshu. Jeep.

After Willys quite making them in the states or maybe at the same time, they sold the blueprints, etc to Mitsubishi. Who in turn continued manufacturing them for quite a while more. Japan wasn't the only country to do this. I think the Philippines got in on that deal too, as well as India. Though I have only seen the Japanese version in person. Others were only pics and such.

I was shocked the first time I saw a 4 door Willys wagon in Japan and had to chase it down. And right on the grill was "Mitsubishi." If you know your Willys history, they never made a 4 door though a few were "custom" made for the railroad. Don't know if Willys did this or an aftermarket company did.

Here is the India company... I guess they still make them.

http://www.mahindra.com/OurBusinesses/automotive_domestic_products_UV_mahindramajor.htm

And here you go for some info on the Mitsubishi version.

http://www.flatriver.net/index.shtml

Note the info plate on this one...

http://www.flatriver.net/3b.htm

Here is another site, it says Mitsubishi got the rights after WWII

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/4063/Mitsubishi.html

One thing I learned after 20+ years in the military. Never say never when it comes to vehicles. It is amazing what I have seen here and there. American vehicles showing up in different forms around the world. Some more useless info, look up sometime how the Toyota land cruiser came about. You might be surprised.

Ok, found the mother load for what and where for the flatties.

http://www.apple.queensu.ca/cj3b/World.html

Edited by kdkg

One thing I forgot to mention. The Willys Gladiator Military truck used in later part of Vietnam (one of my dream trucks.) Basically a beefed up convertible Willys pickup which the civilian version was also called the Gladiator.

The last time I was in Korea, 2002 if I remember right, I saw a Korean version that was a NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) detection vehicle that was still in service. Got a picture of it somewhere. Was of interest to me because of my desire for a Military Gladiator and the fact I was a NBC troop.

Ok, I will quit being a know it all and will get back on topic. Rude of me being a "Clifford Clavin" right off the bat. :thumbdown:

Too late for the election but from Season 1 Episode 13 of cheers

"I've got a pet little theory about the president election. You see, if you go back in history and take every president, you'll find that the numerical value of each letter in their last name was equally divisible into the year in which they were elected."

"By my calculations our next president has to be named Yelnik McGwawa."

OK, no cheating here, just memorie. We'll see how much I really smoked away. The Original FJ's were built by Toyota FOR the Austalian military. And the first ones done actually said "TOYOTA JEEP".

How did I do????;)

Very close. But it was for the U.S. Military during the Korean war. I am sure we used some in Japan too. If my memory is holding up. They used the Willys military jeep as a guide.

They called it a Toyota BJ Jeep. Don't know what the BJ stood for, but I like the sound of it...:D::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Edited by kdkg
One thing I forgot to mention. The Willys Gladiator Military truck used in later part of Vietnam (one of my dream trucks.) Basically a beefed up convertible Willys pickup which the civilian version was also called the Gladiator.

The "Gladiator" was the civilian version that had a fixed windshield. The military version, The M715 had a CJ style fold down windshield and convertable top. Those #uckers are tough!!!!!

The "Gladiator" was the civilian version that had a fixed windshield. The military version, The M715 had a CJ style fold down windshield and convertable top. Those #uckers are tough!!!!!

I really really want one. Their only weak link was the engine and that is easily swapped out. If I had a ranch, I would have one now. But as is, 10 vehicles, in the city is way enough...

Hey nice doing the flash back with you Jester. How many different brands have we covered? All on a Datsun site. haha They should invent a "vehicle based" trivia game. Meatloaf can host this one as well.

2eDeYe;95617']Yay Jeeps.

Those Zuki's are sweet. Never seen that many of that body style all in one place. :cool:

The meets since then (ones I haven't been able to attend,) there has been even more. The Colorado meet was the initial, still got the tee shirts stashed away somewhere.

One annual was in Oklahoma at Disney. Another was a winter meet in Arizona or New Mexico, can't remember which. There was one in Canada (I think the last.) And the next one is going to be at Moab. We have talked about trying to make that one.

I am looking forward to some Datsun meets. I like the "meet new people" aspect usually more than the chance to see their rigs. Some great places in Colorado to meet and such... ;)

buy one KDKG

http://www.sinkule.com/index.htm

Jester heres one

the first nissan patrol

The US help to get Japan off the ground buy helping them get there industry back on their feet.

Toyota making the first Landcruiser

Mistshibitshi making Willys Jeeps under liecense up till 1996(used in Godzilla movies and also used extensively in Veitnam by the South Veitnamese army)

and the Nissan patrol.

history_patrol-1_thumb.jpg

I really really want one. Their only weak link was the engine and that is easily swapped out. If I had a ranch, I would have one now. But as is, 10 vehicles, in the city is way enough...

Hey nice doing the flash back with you Jester. How many different brands have we covered? All on a Datsun site. haha They should invent a "vehicle based" trivia game. Meatloaf can host this one as well.

Theres a guy out in spanaway... at a secret location :D ... Thats has 5 of them in his yard, including 1 with the canvas high top on the back and 1 that looks like it was used with a turret or something of that nature... the one with the canvas top has been sitting in the same spot for about 6 years or more, and his property is up for sale. So he MAY be interested in selling some of these things.

Theres a guy out in spanaway... at a secret location :D ... Thats has 5 of them in his yard, including 1 with the canvas high top on the back and 1 that looks like it was used with a turret or something of that nature... the one with the canvas top has been sitting in the same spot for about 6 years or more, and his property is up for sale. So he MAY be interested in selling some of these things.

Thanks, but way too far away for me. That are not that rare in Colorado so maybe I will find the perfect one for me. I had found one a couple of years ago w/ a swapped in Camaro engine that was a good price, but I had just bought a Built up Samurai and a house and couldn't justify buying the m715.

Those prices are not that bad, that was about what they was selling for in Japan. There was this one 4x4 lot that I would visit every couple of weeks. The diesel ones always fascinated me.

I still don't that kind of bucks for a toy. I think if I could afford that, I would get a Yamaha Rhino and do the full cage w/ back seats kit. Would be a great trail rig that would be easy to maintain and such. We had one in Iraq that I had alot of fun with. We ended up loosing the clutch in it after we let our 1st Sgt use it. I guess he was tougher on it than us. We also had ATV's which for over a month, my daily driver was an ATV. Had to air up the tires real high to handle the constant road use.

We would get out and play every once in a while, but had to be mindful of the minefields and the UXO littered terrain.

Edited by kdkg