Datsun 620 Galavan New member introduction.

ValveFloater

That really looks good! Especially compared to when you first got it. What year is it? I know it is from a later year because of the shape of the radiator core, and it appears to be a dually. Do you have any current pics of how the interior looks now? As an old (I just turned 70) cabinetmaker I am interested in woodwork. I installed custom cabinets in many houses that were valued at $300K to over $1,000,000. Of course now-a-days $300K is nothing.

Don

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/8/2020 at 10:31 AM, 620slodat said:

That really looks good! Especially compared to when you first got it. What year is it? I know it is from a later year because of the shape of the radiator core, and it appears to be a dually. Do you have any current pics of how the interior looks now? As an old (I just turned 70) cabinetmaker I am interested in woodwork. I installed custom cabinets in many houses that were valued at $300K to over $1,000,000. Of course now-a-days $300K is nothing.

Don

Hello Don and thank all for the compliments. 

It has been tons of work so far but I am happy to say that it runs like new.

I gutted the interior because it was infested with bugs and rats. I plan on leaving it empty with no RV interior. Some faux wood vinyl flooring, solar panels on roof, inverter and batteries in floor. I may change my mind but I am working on the mechanical issues first.

I picked up 95 Pathfinder spindles and got new rotors, calipers, and hoses so this week she gets a front brake upgrade. I already replaced the master cylinder and put all new parts on the rear drums. 

I am looking for a little more ground clearance so  I ordered new Rancho shocks, ball joint spacers, upper and lower ball joints, idler arm, center link, and tie rods. I will adjust the torsion keys conservatively.

I have been driving around to establish trust but I hear some driveline noise. Maybe she only wants a couple of pulls of grease. Carrier rubber looks good but is old.

I have built several 9 inch rear ends for my cars in the past but this stock Datsun rear looks pretty stout. I will wait and see how it goes. The truck only has 73k original miles!

I just put 3/4 inch treated plywood down for floors and working on the interior. I will certainly post pics.

I put a dash cap on her, a new rubber cab floormat, seat covers (for now). I bought Techno Toy Tuning door and kick panels that look killer. Lots of wiring left to do.

This has been challenging with my work schedule, overtime and the fact my truck is 80 miles away at a friend's house.

The finish line is near and in the midst of this Corona virus pandemic it makes me feel good to own this thing.  

• Like 1

I am going to hit the junkyard again. I need D21 spindle and I got Pathfinder spindles. A $100 lesson to read more carefully. It seems the taper on the lower ball joint is upside down. 

I went ahead and ordered the bushing kit so this will be a complete front suspension rebuild.

I am taking it to an old school alignment shop that charges a bit more but worth it. Those tire shops generally don't have the know how to properly align the wheels. 

Good stuff coming, be safe my friends!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...