white smoke when starting ?

1dazpay

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find with valve seals that leak down on shut off cause a definite blue puff on start up.

Over rich/flooding makes black smoke.

Sounds like steam.

Check that the intake/exhaust manifold bolts are tight. The two coolant holes in the head to the intake runners could be leaking into the intake over night. The fact it runs rough when smoking, tells me there is something in the cylinder causing this.

condensation just like seeing you breath.As long as your white smoke goes away don`t worry about it.If it doesn`t go away it could be head gasket.If you don`t have to top up you rad all the time than your probably ok.

Edited by veryboard
wish it was but not a lot of condinsation in phoenix az. smoke is a little thick and and the engine has a rough idle until it clears up.

I dont think the scientific act of condensation is only limited to wet areas. But I am no scientist.:D Rough idle initially could be the need for a full tune up and carb cleaning or rebuild.

I'm with DanielC. Go smell it. If it's sweet, you are burning coolant. The rough-run that clears up when the smoke goes away makes me suspect head gasket. You could pull your plugs and see if any one or two look different from the others. Coolant in the cylinders works great for cleaning carbon build-up.:D

I'm with DanielC. Go smell it. If it's sweet, you are burning coolant. The rough-run that clears up when the smoke goes away makes me suspect head gasket. You could pull your plugs and see if any one or two look different from the others. Coolant in the cylinders works great for cleaning carbon build-up.:D

I had a 78 620 that did that and it turned out to be the head gasket.