look what I saw

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a Chinook. On the other forum, a few years ago, I had done quite a study on them. There is a guy up Your way that has a bundle of information on Chinooks. The contract was issued to Toyota, which is why You see more of them. Late in 1978 the contract either expired or was voided, I cann't remember the correct story right now, and Datsun chassis were supplied through 1979. A 1978 Datsun Chinook is, however, much rarer than a 1979. I have came close twice to purchasing one but both sellers thought that they had a very valuable piece for sale. The downfall to Chinooks is the pop up roof. On every one (Toyotas included) that I have seen, the roof leaks. That translates into carpeting that has molded and ruined the plywood flooring material. I have posted a few photos on other threads of Chinooks. I don't have time right now to track them down. I wish that there was one thread for all RV topics that have come up so far. A sticky would be nice. The taillights are the coolest thing I think on a Chinook. I have pictures (post later) of how they did them. They took stock 620 lights and turned them upside down, putting the right side housing on the left and the left on the right. There was an ABS plastic "slipcover" installed and then screwed or bolted to the rear bumper. More on that later. I would still love to add one someday to My collection, but I'm NOT going to pay more than $500.00 for it unless it was under a carport and is prestine.

Thanks for the info steroid. I always wondered why there were so few datsun ones and so many toyodas. I figured it to be a 79 and it is a chinook. I have seen 3 of them and all different. I have seen a bunch of yoda ones. I like this one since it is still a 2 wheel axle and very compact. This one was really clean. I worked on RVs for almost 7 years now and would love to find a shitty old datsun chinook for cheap.

You're welcome. If this becomes a sticky I am willing to track down all that I had found. The person's name I talked to years ago was Nolan. He is in the NW but I cann't remember where. He is VERY knowledgable on Chinooks. He also is big into Toyotas. Maybe somebody on here knows Him. Anyway, just now by googling I found this:

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1410

Check out this guys Chinook!!

There is quite a following of Toyotas as You can see by looking through the TMH forum. I would LOVE to have a Datsun Chinook in as good a condition as this Toyota!! Maybe one this nice will surface someday. I would guess that I have about 30 detail photos of Chinooks somewhere. I'll put them on My list to look for one day.

I FOUND IT!!!!! This is the guy! I talked quite a bit with Him and He was about 1/3 getting this rig together. He is very knowledgable on Toyota motors as You can see. Any of You guys know Him?

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/nolan's_76_chinook.htm

I need to call Him again. Cool guy.

Nolan lives in The Dalles, OR. He brings one or both of his Chinooks to the annual car show here in Hood River. His blue one is insane. My daily driver is a 1983 Toyota 4x4 and I would do one of these in a hot second if I could find a decent Chinook camper to throw on the back. He really knows his stuff when it comes to the 20 and 22R's. Here are a few of the shots that I took of his rides. Awsome work and attention to detail.

http://picasaweb.google.com/exit64/ChinookCampers#

Man, that was cool to find! If You ever wanted to know anything about Chinooks, Nolan is the expert. It will be interesting to see if any of You know Him or have met Him. He has sales brochures and possibly production figures. He is the one that told Me about the Toyota/Datsun change. As You can tell, He has taken two apart so if anyone on here wants a Chinook project, I would suggest tracking Him down. He would surely know every nut, bolt and screw that went into them. Maybe this thread will grow with that information. He would know way more than Me on Chinooks. I only have taken photos of ones that I've found. I know where one is now but it is VERY rough so I haven't even attemped talking to the owner. I've got way too much going on now as it is. If any of You know Nolan please tell Him I said Hi!!

Then He DID find a front spoiler and fender flares!!! I hadn't even found any when I was talking to Him, it was that long ago. Actually, I hadn't even started on Funtana or the spoiler blank yet. It must have been 7 or 8 years ago!! Boy, they both turned out NICE!! What a cool guy! Please tell Him congratulations for Me if You see Him!!!

You're welcome. If this becomes a sticky I am willing to track down all that I had found. The person's name I talked to years ago was Nolan. He is in the NW but I cann't remember where. He is VERY knowledgable on Chinooks. He also is big into Toyotas. Maybe somebody on here knows Him. Anyway, just now by googling I found this:

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1410

Check out this guys Chinook!!

There is quite a following of Toyotas as You can see by looking through the TMH forum. I would LOVE to have a Datsun Chinook in as good a condition as this Toyota!! Maybe one this nice will surface someday. I would guess that I have about 30 detail photos of Chinooks somewhere. I'll put them on My list to look for one day.

Ok Steroid now you have me hooked, I want one of these bad and the 4x4 version as well. I would love to haveone of these.

• 2 months later...

Well, today I went and looked at a Chinook. It is at a wrecking yard and in "fair" shape. Would need gutting but almost everything is there. No price yet...... I'm hoping under $300.00. It depends on the title, which I will know tomorrow if they have. If not, I'll offer half that price. Why do I talk Myself into these things??????????

The chinook/dolphin realm seems mostly void of Datsun models. I wish I could get a 620 version. I would pimp the shit out of it....Then charge you all $3 for a microwaved corndog at Canby!!!:D:D:fu: Dude, I would so do that. I think when i sell my 620 that is my objective.!!!That or a NL.....

i love me some chinooks, wanting one is what led me to getting a hilux. wanna make a lowrider out of one :D

and nolan aka "nook" is the man. he's helped me a bit with my SC, cuz he has one in a chinook.

he's a fairly active member over @ http://www.toyotaminis.com under the name "nook"

its funny you mentioning this steriod, he just recently mentionthere and i was like " hey he's on ratsun"

you guys should hook up again ive done all the leg work i can now :fu:

Thanks!! I'll try to look Him up.

Sooooooooo, just how cool would a fourdoor Datsun 620 Chinook look???? Take another Chinook and "graft" the front section together, so that the length above the cab is proportional, put dually rims on the back, tube grille, wrapkit up front with nice rims??? Naturally, lowered some......... HMMmmmm.

At the prices that you guys are looking to pick one of these up at you could put whatever you wanted under the front of it. Shit use the front half of an old 210,510,610,710 wagon for a cool sleak low long 4-door look! SWEET!

I dont know if its still there but in northwest moses lake WA at an old used car lot there was a VW bug that they made into a fakie chinook. Had less interior room than a Squareback. Hi-Larious!

Not the one I am speaking of but check it out!

http://jalopnik.com/cars/novelties/volkswagen-bug-camper-please-dont-blame-it-on-the-drugs-119962.php

And this! Wish I could find one of these. Prolly the COOLEST thing you could attatch to your small car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

Edited by Pumpkn210