new here with a 620 'prerunner'

polo451

ok thanks stoffregen , so if i get it right , any toy axle is ok and then add a detroit truetrack on it  ! 

sounds good i'll start looking for the axle ... 

the engine bay needs some cleaning and paint ! doesn't look good now , but i'll take care of it soon , pretty easy job ! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

H-233 from the pathfinder are 4.375 and 4.625 in open and LSD but note the pre and post '95 use different number of bolts on the axle housing. If swapping diffs, swap similar year if possible. The Pathfinder rear disc brake axles should fit the Hardbody.... again the splines may be larger post '95? Just do your research. . 

• Like 1

If you think you may want to play with things like gearing and lockers in the future, going with a Toyota axle right from the get-go would be wise.

Gears for the 233 are $500. Gears for a Toyota 8" are about $200.

Chromoly axle shafts, full float conversions, disc brake conversions are also compelling arguments for the Toyota axle.

• Like 1

yep i actually saw a toyota axle with a trd lsd on craiglist , for 450 .... well such a bargain didn't stay long ... missed it !!

and for the news i tried to take out my dash cluster , and it just exploded in my hands !! so dry a slight pull it brakes ..

it's now into pieces , no choice but to rebuild one now ! working on it

god the interior needs work ...

• Like 1

A challenge for us in Southern California - and more specifically around the Los Angeles area - H-233 axles can be found in junk yards abundantly. Toyota axles are a bit more difficult, especially if looking for one from a 4x4, and even more so if from the 80s. For the past couple months, I've been combing the junk yards online looking for a set of 80's 4x4 axles, and those trucks rarely ever show up locally. And though the 450 deal polo mentioned above does come up from time to time, they go freakin' fast (apparently too fast for me). I've been looking for a set of 80s 4x4 axles for my Samurai.  

• Like 2

Get on one of the offroad forums, like Expedition Portal or Tacoma World (Pirate too, but get ready for tons of :poop: ). Look around in the Fresno and Bakersfield areas or even San Bernardino. Get on car-part.com and search by region. There are ways.

I have a few axles laying around and they are very easy to come by for me. Figure out what axle width you want/need and let me know.

EDIT - I just searched on car-part.com and found a few in Oxnard, Montclair, Ridgecrest, Santa Paula, La Puente, even Los Angeles.

• Like 2

I haven't checked car-part...I've always kind of wondered what that was about. I check Pirate from time to time. I just have bad timing. :) I haven't been too serious about it, though, as I'm not ready to install them yet. Good info for Polo. La Puente is right next to Los Angeles. 

I'm sure they're out there! But man, expensive these days! It seems like not too long ago a 1984 4x4 could be had complete for $1000. Those days are long gone. Though I guess the same to be said for 620s around here. 

• Like 1

yes , on carparts i see many toyota axles , but still a bit expensive , i mean a non abs non locker base axle is 600 $ 

there's also a japanese car junk yard in burbank i went to , the guy wouldn't sell me anything for less than 1000 bucks ...

i'll try la puente .. 

by the way , since i have big tires the stock silvia gearbox is too long , so if i take a 4.56 ratio axle , the highest in toyota axle , is it gonna be better ? 

what about the nissan ? 

thanks 

• Like 1

That's kind of my point. If you want a different R&P ratio, changing gears on a Toyota is cheap. Almost inconsequential. 4.88's, 5.29's or even 5.71's can be had for the Toyota diffs for $200.

If you can stomach a drive up north, those axles grow on trees around here. I'd sell you one for $250.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Look like your air intake is kinda jacked up because it criss-crosses all over the engine bay...too much restriction bro.

Rip that shit out mang and pick up a sweet cone air filter from Pep Boys!

Should he get rid of the turbo or the intercooler?

• Like 1

no problem hobo , no hurry ! 

red13 yes i'm looking for a bench , i found a upholstery shop that has one but i want a custom one , i'll see waht i do . if you have pictures of your setup i'd like to see that ! 

and for the news , about the dash , i found a guy to scan the parts , i will make a 3d model of the bezel , but then it's actually a big piece and could be a bit expensive to build in 3dprint or mill

i know a way to fabricate but i would need to be sure many people would buy one just to cover the investment.

or if you guys need other smaller parts it's easy for me to do , give me some ideas !

Here's a heads up on modern seats, they tend to be much ticker on the bottom. So investigate before you shell out coin for a donor seat from a modern car or truck. If you're tall, this may be a problem in an older mini truck. Even if you're not tall, the new seating position may not appeal to everyone.

I installed a pair of Scion xB seats in a customer's Toyota mini truck last year and the work required to lower the seat base was huge. I had about 12 hours in modifying them to get them low enough to fit.

wow ok it can get crazy ,  i had the idea to actually adapt back seats from a sedan , like a golf or civic , it's pretty skinny .. 

or just modify the foam and reupholster the stock bench by a shop ... 

but for now the priority is the rear axle , it will eat my budjet im sure ...

as soon as work starts on the car i'll post pictures