Loosening Frozen Nuts...

abbylind

WD 40 was designed as a desiccant...WD (Water Displacement) My dad said it was designed for the military to displace water from electronics (he was in the missile test program in the 50 and 60s) Glad this topic has spurred some good ideas for rusted items!  Keep it going!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WD 40 was designed as a desiccant...WD (Water Displacement) My dad said it was designed for the military to displace water from electronics (he was in the missile test program in the 50 and 60s) Glad this topic has spurred some good ideas for rusted items!  Keep it going!

A desiccant  absorbs water.

• Like 1

Yes as the name implies - water displacement.  WD.  Good for nothing else.  Piss poor lubricant, useless for freeing rusted parts (although it may have helped prevent rust),  and the last thing you want anywhere near something you intend to paint.  I haven't had this stuff around for a decade and I don't miss it.  Kroil, or PB Blaster in a pinch.  

If you're going to use WD-40 to quench a hot part, exchange it for water, or candle wax, or simple engine oil.   They likely all work exactly the same.    

• Like 1

When I had my gunsmithing shop up in Wisconsin, a customer had brought in a lever action, that was locked up.

They said that they had no idea why it wouldn't open the breach, as they had kept in in a cabinet for years, only taking it out to oil it once in a while.

I asked what type of gun oil they were using.

They proudly announced 'WD40'.

Well after taking the wood off, it got a bath in acetone, and it freed right up.

Then it was disassembled, fully cleaned of the 'bubble gum in a can', and lubed with real gun oil.

I to use it to wipe down my machine tools, cutting bits, and bare steel parts coming out of the parts wash.

Seems to work well for removing dried on labels too.