dogleg 5-speed swap questions....

charlie6178

okay, so i just bought my first 510 to play around with about 3 weeks ago, it's a 70 2dr, bre flares, really cool 67 firebird tail lights... it's a cool car, bought it for $510. but it was an automatic! i work for aluminum head rebuilders, and i made some calls and found one of our core suppliers who had a bunch of datsun trannys laying around, so i went out and took a look right. so i found a dogleg 5 speed. cherry shape for $50! got it, and i just bolted it to the motor, and found that when the motor is tilted like it is in the car, the shifter, and the mounting point for the crossmember are also tilted? the crossmember mount on the trans would work perfect if the motor were tilted the opposite way when you bolt it in the car. and the shifter is tilted so the passenger can shift it!

the guy i bought it from told me that they used to get pallets of engines and trannys from japan back in the day when they were popular, so could the one i have be for a RHD car?? it would work perfect with where the shifter sits!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a dogleg from a NAPS Z series engine car. I think it was in the '80-'81 HLA10, you know, the 510 that was reserected in the late '70s. The L series motors were discontinued about '80 and the new Z20(S) motors started being used. The Z series and the L series share the same bolt pattern but are turned or rotated to reflect the two different positions the motors sit in when mounted in the car. The Z is more vertical and the L is tilted to the passenger side by 12 degrees. Therefore a Z tranny will rotate the shifter to the pass side.

Find another L dogleg or a broken L series dogleg and swap the front case rom it with the different L bolt hole position onto your tranny. I would grab all the doglegs you can find for parts... they aren't that common.

You might be able to get away with bending the shifter lever at the boot as long as it doesn't interfere with the hole in the tunnel. The tranny mount could be shimmed. Do you have any pictures of the shifter angle in the car???

I'm kind of in the same boat. I had the z22e in my 510 with the appropriate transmission, but I had a custom mount to deal with the engine tilt (making the engine lean the opposite direction).

But now that I've got a motor in an L-configuration, I'm going to throw the stock mount back on, and will have to deal with the tilting transmission. Since my car was a shell when i got it, I have no problem cutting the transmission tunnel a bit to deal with shift lever, and bending the lever so I can reach it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, if somebody WANTS a z-series tranny and has an L-series long-tail sitting around, I'd be glad to make the swap.

thanks, and they actually did the tail lights right! very minimal bondo...

i like the car. i'm planning on going with the XXR's 513 wheel with 16x8 0 offset. i think it should look good.

and i'll get a project thread going soon. i just have too many projects right now. but i'm almost done with my coil overs. many hours of machining and fine tuning... i hope by this weekend i can mock up one front and one rear on the car :)

but it's coming along quite nice.

heres a close up for the tail light fans! (yes i already replaced the trunk lid)

DSCF0133.jpg

and a nose shot

DSCF0130.jpg