steering column woes on 521

tdaaj

for you bigger guys that need a little more clearence in the cab, this might be helpful. the 620 steering column is 2" shorter than the 521 column and bolts right in. no more having to cut things.

this was shown and told to me by a fellow that had gotten a 521 to me. looked like everything had bolted up just like he told me.

Edited by tdaaj
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for you bigger guys that need a little more clearence in the cab, this might be helpful. the 620 steering column is 2" shorter than the 521 column and bolts right in. no more having to cut things.

good to know, will this help trying to mount a grant, sparco, momo ect... steering wheel...

Wow, that is cool. And the steering wheel isn't blocking the dash any?

Did the 620's come with autos 'cuz if they did, then you could have a column shift on a manual-to-auto conversion.

Sounds interesting. The 620 were floor shift automatics.

it is but not too bad. unbolt the column/steering box from the frame, unbolt from the dash, remover steering wheel,turn signal switch, and cover. remove the radiator and grill. pull it out the core support. oh and remove pitman arm from box

Edited by tdaaj

Nice, perfect timing on this as well for me. I was considering moving my whole steering box forward to get more clearance... Any idea if it's possible to swap just the column, or does the entire box have to go? Now to try to find a '77 steering column up here... Anyone in Washington have one they'd like to sell me? :D

So I dug it out for ya pope_face.

Figure I'd post up the measurements here for everybody. This is a 78 column, just as I pulled it from the truck. It's should be easy to take out if the radiator isn't in the way. Of course I didn't have a motor in there either.

Anyways on to the pics :P

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

and just so ya know theres a little hole near the splines...

DSCN0001-1.jpg

Leaks like a bitch when you lay it on the floor :lol:

DSCN0002-1.jpg

Edited by ]2eDeYe
First pic is blurry cause the cameras on macro...may take another one later...

The 620's went to metric.....so that may be a hang up with putting just the shaft/column in the 521 box....not sure.

When removing the box/column....if you take the seat out, you can angle the box up over the core support and not have to remove the radiator. Much nicer to remove 4 bolts and slide the seat over a bit than to drain/remove the radiator. :)

Ted: Are you sure that the 620 column is actually 2" shorter than the 521? I measured the column in the '72 I've got, and it's about 48 3/4" from the back of the mounting plate to the end of the part where the wheel mounts. Going by the pics Steve posted, it looks like the the 620 column is 47 3/4" from the same points. Is it that the steering box is slightly shorter as well, or mounts slightly further forward? I'd love to be able to swap the columns if it works, but it might not be worth the trouble for 1" or less of a difference.