Emissions

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 68 wagon with l16. Wondering of I would screw anything up by removing and sealing with a plate at the end of my intake manifold. And seek any other vacuum libes. Thanks.

Most owners don't know what their emissions system does or how it does it. Most of all they don't know how little at all the emissions system affects their engine performance. Trust me, there is no magical hidden horsepower just waiting to be unleashed by taking some 'smog' device off. Removing things leads to introducing problems that wouldn't have happened if left alone.

That said...

The '68 doesn't have anything on the intake that can or should be removed or sealed.

Check the engine size by looking on the top edge of the block directly behind the dipstick handle. It should say L16 but it may have been swapped for a later L20B. The L20B will have an EGR manifold on the side of the intake, but the L16 does not.

The 510 has a dual point distributor that allow a retarding of the timing to be selected under certain conditions of emission control. Many have a small air pump to add air to the exhaust manifold to burn unused hydrocarbons. The flow guide valve stores evaporated gas from the tank and allows them to be burned when running but has no effect on running.

The following two reduce emissions but actually benefit the engine and running. Some have warmed air supplied to the air filter housing to reduce emissions but it also prevents carb icing in cold weather. The PCV valve recycles engine blow by gasses and extends the oil change interval by keeping the internals cleaner..

I have a 68 wagon with l16. Wondering of I would screw anything up by removing and sealing with a plate at the end of my intake manifold. And seek any other vacuum libes. Thanks.

Short answer, No. Anything can be sealed up. A carburetor intake manifold needs only a place to mount the carb, outlets to the head and mounting holes. Everything else is optional.

Depending on what's deleted, you may need to make adjustments to your ignition timing, distributor timing curve, idle air/fuel mixture and carburetor jetting.

Now if there's emissions testing that's a whole different story.

Short answer, No. Anything can be sealed up. A carburetor intake manifold needs only a place to mount the carb, outlets to the head and mounting holes. Everything else is optional.

Depending on what's deleted, you may need to make adjustments to your ignition timing, distributor timing curve, idle air/fuel mixture and carburetor jetting.

Now if there's emissions testing that's a whole different story.

Thanks. I will be milling out a 1/8" plate to exact size and blocking it off, and plugging the exhaust hose. throwing a down draft weber on it I figured I dont need any of that emissions stuff. 

Lot of bother, and it's still there. You could just pull the hose off to disable it.

This is a '79 truck intake that had the same EGR manifold on the side just like yours. Unbolt it, some grinding, some JB weld to fill holes, drilled and tapped for the fitting, and still has that all important PCV valve.

L16%20exhaust%20005.jpg