Help with possible future 620

tjmolinski

Hi ratsun people,

Been browsing these forums recently which has been reviving the desire to get a datsun since there were never any datsuns in the midwest. Something popped up on Craigslist which I'm going to go check out soon but wanted to see if there was anything that stuck out as a red flag. I read through most of the buyers guides and look outs that are on this forum (super helpful) but figured I'd get some more expertise.

It seems like its in pretty good condition that won't require much repair. I'm no expert mechanic but as long as I can find a service manual... I think I muscle through it. Also to note that this would possibly by a daily driver but I work from home so my daily drive is MAYBE once or twice a week and I have a motorcycle (if it's not broken down) to ride in case this is being worked on.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5518997720.html

Thanks for looking

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the money and want it, pull the trigger

Based on the description it 'sounds' like a great truck that's owned by someone who has already taken care of the issues and knows how to fix them. It would be a great start but at a high cost. Looks for rust holes on the cab floor, front and back, as well as inner fender near battery tray, the rockers, and the base of the A pillars (right above the door hinge). Check the tire condition and try all electrical functions. Bring a multimeter and check at the battery if the alternator is charging.

These are just some of the common issues. If any are found pay less but still looks like solid truck. Good luck

• Like 1

That seems to be about $5000 to high priced to me.  The engine did not get rebuilt it got gaskets and a freshen up head.  there is just not enough there to make the truck worth $7000.  It is not a king cab and it has not been redone.  New Mexico and Texas can be as bad or even worse than Arizona for sun and heat damage.  the floors being rusted out is a warning sign that there could be other hidden cancer in important structural areas.

I would drive it like you stole it on a test drive and really look the truck over hard.  It is most likely going to need extensive work done to it to actually bring it back.

$7000 project truck is to much for this truck in my opinion.

Well ask yourself do you really want to spend 6k on it? Sounds to me you are lusting at how clean it is and what was replaced. Do what HOGIE said; inspect the car and drive it like you stole it. 620 are freaking awesome but 6k dude is a lot of money. Just my 2 cent.

• Like 1

Low miles???? The speedometer only goes to 99,999 and then back to 00,000 so if 50,000 it could be 150,000 or 250,000???????

Center bearing rubber isolator ring between the two drive shafts. The rubber rots away and the driveshaft is unsupported.

The MSD ignition 'upgrade' is simply a replacement coil. The '78 already has an EI electronic ignition and messing with the coil is not a good idea. It could be a totally wrong points coil.

Take for drive.

Steering light and responsive, no 'wandering' no shimmy at any speed?.

Brakes should function smoothly without pulling to either side. Test E brake.

All lights work? signals, horn, wiper, heater and fan. Is there electrical wires hanging from under dash? Gauges all work?

Engine quiet running. Does it restart when hot?

Use all gears

All glass undamaged? windows wind down and up?

Got spare?

Good exhaust system?

Tires? uneven wear on the fronts?

For $6,500 he should he should keep it. You shouldn't have to fund his upgrade to a 350z.

Offer him 4,500 and leave your number. Call back in 3 weeks and confirm your offer, then walk away.

• Like 1

I think its to much.. my 73 looked better then that when i got it almost 4 years ago..and that one is 5 years younger.. maybe with fresh paint i would pay 7k.. but not like that.. thats the problem with alot of dudes..they think cuz they have a/c its a gold mine and the price should go up 3k.. i say offer him 4k.. see wut he says

• Like 1

Pricing is very regional, though I don't know the value of these in Austin area. They go for quite a bit here in Southern California (Los Angeles/Orange County areas), but around $4500-5000 is probably reasonable around here for that truck, though I've seen some similar to that sell for even more. Heck, I've seen some worse than that sell for more.  

• Like 1

Damn you guys are awesome, thanks for all the info. Have a feeling he won't be willing to budge but will have to hear his response. Not in the biggest rush to spend 2-4k over a standard price. I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground about any 620's or 510's coming around. Really appreciate the advice

• Like 1