B310 Daily Driver and Rockauto, ect.

Bomboyj

Good afternoon Ratsun community,

For a while now I have been getting down because I have been on the look out for parts for my '79 B310. Far and few in between they have been until I just discovered through this site ROCKAUTO.COM. I have couple of questions.

Is it a good site/company to order from?

Also I am starting to daily drive my Datsun again. It has 112k miles on it and some of the maintenance has been neglected(mostly on my own accord). If I were to order some parts on there to freshen up the "whip" what would those be?

I am thinking a gasket kit as I need to adjust the valves.

Maybe some suspension parts to replace worn bushings and what not.(Recommendations?) 

Brake pads/rotors and maybe whole new rear drums(if they have them cheap or in stock)

New belts as everything seems pretty cheap might as well.

What would be some things you guys would recommend other than these to keep my car on the road and not run it into the ground?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock auto is great. But there are caveats.

Returns suck, even if they sent you the wrong thing.

Buying the cheapest stuff on there will get you what you pay for so the less you pay, the more cautious you should be when installing it.

Rock auto is great. But there are caveats.

Returns suck, even if they sent you the wrong thing.

Buying the cheapest stuff on there will get you what you pay for so the less you pay, the more cautious you should be when installing it.

Agree!  If you have an uncommon vehicle like my RL411, go the verbal, talk to a human. route or you will like me wind up with inappropriate late 510 parts, not the real RL411 parts.  They have a good return policy [especially if they F##K up the applicability, but that takes time.]  Go the phone order route if you are a not so common vehicle and I swear you will not get better service!  My 68 year old RL411 swears by Rock Auto!

• Like 1

Try to order in large batches when possible to save on shipping  ,, mix and match to try and get parts all coming out of same warehouse as paying a little more can sometimes be cheaper than shipping from 2 different places..

And pretty soon you are looking at all the damn magnets on your fridge thinking ,, man,,  i have a problem.

• Like 1

You only need a valve cover gasket if setting the valve lash. Don't over do it.

Belts and hoses as well as rotors, drums and pads are replaced only on an as needed basis. Hoses rot from the inside out so if soft... replace. If belts are frayed cracked or glazed... replace.

Rotors and drums can be turned to true up the surfaces. If worn out replace. Brake fluid absorbs water which causes rust. Brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years.

Definitely an engine oil and filter (not a Fram) change, fuel filter, transmission oil change (GL-4) unless automatic, differential oil change GL-5 for this. If automatic, go by the ATF oil quality... if not bright ruby red and clear see through, have it and the filter changed. Use Dexron ATF.

Engine coolant anti freeze is only good for a couple of years so if you don't know when it was changes last or what quality coolant was used definitely change it. Keeping good quality anti freeze in the cooling system prevents rust and scale from building up and protects the hoses. Mix with equal parts distilled water to prevent scale.