620 kingcab, long bed?

Anonymous Waffle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only found roughly 3 75's so I'm not sure if they're 76's registered as 75's or not.

This ^^^

I'd love to see the ID tags on a 75 LB 620...

On my 620, the production tag says 6 / 75.  Mine is a long bed and is titled as a 1975, I can get a pic for you guys later on today if you need it.

• Like 1

If anyone is curious why I'd like a 620 kingcab longbed is to have the convenience of the extra room in the cab to lean the seats back, and have the convenience of a long bed.

But im 5'7 so I don't have issues with legroom, buy my dad is 6'2 so he squeezes into a single cab 620

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in the mid 80's I did exactly what you are wanting to do. It is really not that hard.

The easiest way to do it is to find a donor truck with the long bed AND the frame. You then take careful measurements behind the rear of the cab in the long straight section and make your cuts on both frames. You rejoin the 2 frames with rectangular steel tubing driven inside the frame rails. (These are a tight fit and will self align the frame sections.) Take careful cross measurements to make sure you have it square and then use plug welds to hold them together. You also need to splice the 2 wire harnesses for the tail lights together, lengthen the drive shaft, and replace the steel brake line with a longer one.

I did this to my 76 KC 4x4 with a Buick 231 V6. I never had a problem with the joint in the 10 years I owned the truck and I also won an award at the first auto show I entered it in. The proportions looked "right" on the truck and gave me an extra foot for a longer slide in camper and more room for a  extra capacity gas tank they used to make for the long bed 620's. Waiting for a longer drive shaft to be made took the longest amount of time for the project.

I do miss that truck but I now drive a 2012 SL CC 4x4 LB and it is light years ahead of the 620. LOL

• Like 1