Best way to clean a head thread?

Mike Phillips

Went to bolt on my exhaust manifold and found the first threads in the front most hole to be a little stripped.

Bolt size is 8mm x 1.25

I have a tap but it just seems to want to cut everything up as I start it.

I have a known good threaded bolt but it just gets tighter as I try to thread it in.

Is there a better tool for cleaning these threads?

Ugh....

Mike

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolt size is 8mm x 1.25

I have a tap but it just seems to want to cut everything up as I start it.

I have a known good threaded bolt but it just gets tighter as I try to thread it in.

Mike

Sure about the bolt and tap size cause it should thread in. On the plus side you can oversize and tap it.

Sure about the bolt and tap size cause it should thread in. On the plus side you can oversize and tap it.

I'll try again tomorrow,

I have a longer bolt of the same thread that I think I'll bolt into the head and then use my Moto-Tool to cut the head off turning it into a stud and then deal with any thread issues down the road.

The goal is to get the truck on the road running and dependable.

Thanks!

:)

i hate heli coils.

i think there are 2 different taps. one for cutting new threads and one for cleaning old threads. i read that somewhere and dont know if it's true.

Thats true. To clean threads you use a thread chaser, not an actual tap.

Not a perfect answer but I have taken old head bolts and ground off the threads down 3 narrow strips along the thread length. Rub a little grease into these cavities and as you thread it in, the threads cut and push any debris into the ground out area and the grease holds it. Back it out, wipe it off and do it again till it comes out clean.

Thats true. To clean threads you use a thread chaser, not an actual tap.

That's the tool. Couldn't think of the name.

Thread Chaser

I've already taken care of it but will check with NAPA and see if they can get me one if needed in the future.

:)

Hey there Hainz :)

yep...or threaded inserts, they have many names and styles. I like heli-coils because they have a smaller OD than some other styles. You don't remove much material to install them in a stripped out hole.

In my line of work you never thread aluminum unless that bolt will stay there forever.

I've probably used about every style http://www.mcmaster.com sells at one time or another.

Aluminum is really soft and can lose it's grip after a pulling a steel bolt a few times.

That's the tool. Couldn't think of the name.

Thread Chaser

I've already taken care of it but will check with NAPA and see if they can get me one if needed in the future.

Yeah, I bought a set from Sears. Invaluable for general clean-up.

00952105000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0