Strut mods(pic heavy)

mklotz70

mklotz... I fucking love you... and hate you at the same time haha

you give me ideas and show me ways of doing stuff that I hadn't thought of befoar... then you make me want to go out and do that stuff to my car when I got other stuff I gotta do first! haha

Thanks!! Seriously....that's exactly why I try to post so much of the "how/why" I do some of this stuff. If I can aid in the thought process for the next guy, there's no telling where he's going to take it....probably way beyond what I would have come up with! :)

Mike rocks!!!

DUDE! Thank you! Really though....I only wobble when compared to how you rock!!!

:) We soooo need to live closer together so we can play more!!!!!!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Mike doesn't mind, I did some of my own fiddlin around the other day

picked up a pair of '87 Z31 Turbo front hubs (slip-on rotor as opposed to the regular bolt-on ones) and I have 280ZX strut tubes layin around from my parts car, and put 2 and 2 together basically lol

DSC04706.jpg

bare spindle

DSC04707.jpg

Z31 bearing, fits like it's made for it haha

DSC04708.jpg

the other one too ZOMG

DSC04709.jpg

the hub fits :U

DSC04710.jpg

side view

DSC04711.jpg

Z32 brake rotor

DSC04712.jpg

Z32 rotor side view

DSC04704.jpg

Z32 caliper on Z32 rotor

DSC04703.jpg

what I would have to make up for if I were to make adaptors for it

I won't be going 5 lug any time soon, so I don't think that project is going to go anywhere, but it does mean that Z31 hubs can be put on 280ZX spindles (but I think Mike already pointed that out in the first page... ugh lol

I do plan on eventually upgrading to either J30 or Q45 2 piston calipers and keep the 4 lug, and convert to slip on rotors... but that won't be foar a while, I need other stuff done first lol

I don't mind at all....the point of the thread was to get everyone to post all the strut info in one place :)

Any pics of how the holes line up between the caliper and the strut mount. You showed the spacing between them, but how do they line up? Is there a 4 lug rotor like that one?

the Z32 rotors can (and have been in the past) be redrilled to 4 lug, but I don't think there are any 4 lug rotors in that size, I need to research moar though. (they're 11" in diameter)

I tried to get a pictar of the spacing between the caliper and the strut ears, but I couldn't get the right angle... I know that they don't line up, the Z32's have the same bolt spacing as the J30's, Q45's, S13's, etc. etc. though

• 1 year later...

Okay Icehouse.....is this short enough for you??!! :)

Since the 300zx strut is an inch shorter than the 280zx, which is 1.5-2" shorter than the 510........that makes mine about 5.5-6" shorter than the stock 510 strut(later model) :)

100_0352.jpg

Wow that's a short strut ........ .. I can almost put my front crossmember on the ground with a strut only 2" shorter than stock .... :blink:

.. .. . the biggest problem is that any 15" tire will hit the front "upper" frame rails,, right under the strut towers

For a daily driver 510,, 280zx shocks or MR2 shocks will get you plenty low,,, and still fun to drive

TOP: shortened 510 strut with MR2 insert ... . . . . MIDDLE: shortened 510 strut with 280zx inserts .. .. . BOTTOM: stock 710 strut

6932739857_c904a6a509_o.jpg

The spacer under the KONI yellows ... was 1.5" .... :blink: ..... .. perfect for driving a really low 510 on the freeway,, , dragging the oil pan on bumps ... <_<

.... but I had these 710 struts laying around,,,, and 710's are known for positive camber issues from the factory .... so I did something stupid ... :lol:

6935960529_de4d8bfa58_o.jpg

Obviously, there's a few reason's you "shouldn't" drill a hole in the bottom of a strut.. .. i.e. filling the strut with fluid to desperse heat and stop corrosion

. ... . I'm worried the bottom of the shock might snap off ...... .. but this will make my 510's totally undrive-ably low anyways .... :lol:

6935960525_1d1937609b_o.jpg

6935960501_8b19b4e402_o.jpg

about 4" shorter than stock 710 struts .... :cool:

6789861112_5a83c9d947_o.jpg

• 1 month later...