Sr20det Datsun 620 Pickup

A Short Introduction of myself!

My Name Is Ronni I am 25 years old and im a addicted to cars.. Ive never had a stock car for more than a couple of weeks, and i dont think its going to change anytime soon..

I will tune anything i own..

I have build quite a few cars/engines over the last 10 years Anything from my old skyline to 800 bhp supras.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/146461-r33-gtr-2-8l-vcam-project.html Thats my old skyline build, its worth a read

I had to sell the car in order to start a new buisness, Ill admit i cried a bit when it drove of with its new Uk owner. however low income introduced me into budget tuning! and i love it

My current run about is a bikecarbed Micra k10 

http://www.bilgalleri.dk/fotoalbum/stylingprojekter/107976-brede_skaerme_micra_k10

http://www.bilgalleri.dk/fotoalbum/tuningprojekter/106336-ma12_motor_opbygning

Here is a few photos, Theres a lot missing, however its making 117 Bhp on the tiny 1.2 Litre engine... its quite fast and a super fun car, all in engine/tuning wise i was set back 1000 pounds and i spend around the same ammont on wheels and suspension upgrades.

Now the my new baby, ive been wanting a 510 for some years, however living in denmark makes it difficult, i dont even think theres anyone left in the country, however a 620 with danish papers came up for sale at a desent price, so i went along and bought it. it doesnt have a bed, and ive given up trying to source one, so im going to build a cedersstripped bed, the same way you build canoes.

eb2a69af-01f9-46d3-8faf-e9b0ae7caf64_zps

da3526c3-05d4-4eb3-8eec-9480231e42e8_zps

After buying the truck i phoned my engine supplyer and ordered a non vct Sr20det from a ps13, a complete rear subframe along with a gearbox, driveshaft ecu and other bits and bobs

Im now in the process of stripping the truck down so i can align the front and rearend. im going to use the s14 subframe in the front in order to use all the s14 frontsuspension aswell.. this thing is going wide and low! hopefully fast too :D i wont tune the engine before the truck actually drives and works. but i presume i will make around 300 bhp on it.

aa0d0545-d647-4719-a280-60180f4e0ed0_zps

a6a76881-76cf-43c1-bd31-6fa37b19f7b7_zps

18397493-2af2-46b6-8ec4-efabc80ed77b_zps

Out with the old!

13e7b2b8-bd9e-4368-8a4f-6919d7159509_zps

in with the new! this thing will take a corner once its done!

00eb5700-bd20-40a8-be74-0c66080c1c62_zps

2ffdcc1f-265e-4ed9-b896-3af2e7534c36_zps

0e4f3d50-5376-4240-a26d-389a8b9d6fa0_zps

More updates soon :D Ron

• Like 5
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ron and welcome to Ratsun. Looks like the gas tank was originally bolted to the box so '75 to '77??? Nice intro post and love the pictures, always a good idea too. Looking forward as there was a recent member looking into an SR swap. I don't think he realized how much goes into it to get it right. 

• Like 1

Its a 79´ model. there quite a bit work in getting the truck back on the road again, there quite a bit of rust in the buttom of the doors, and in the frontfenders, but I have faith in the truck.

My biggest concern is how wide it will become with the s14 suspension. its quite difficult to wide out the fenders,while still keeping it looking somehow original.

Ron 

Very interested to see how you build this with your expectation of good handling.  The 620 frame seems to have all the stiffness of a wet lasagna noodle.  When I hit a bump (either straight or in a corner) the whole truck and cab go into a fit for a few seconds before settling back down again.

I'm curious what kind of frame stiffening must be done to get any real benefit from modern sports car suspension.

--carter

Hey Carter the real answer would be... ALOT.. Among stiffning the chasis, Im thinking about making a low "rollbar" between the cab and the bed, where from a triangular stiffning could be made upwards if you get the picture.

Ive also played with the idea of making a brand new chassis, but i will make that call after seeing it without the cab on, Its comming off just after christmas :D

Ron

A little more update from todays work! I started taking the truck apart in the front and got the cabin of it. stripped the whole frontsuspension, pulley the engine and started welding in the s14 front crossmember, i havent fully welded it, i need to testfit the sr20 before i weld it in for good, the frame is in allright shape, i needs some tlc, but i will keep it.

20141225_124305_zpsdb338015.jpg

Cab off

20141225_172445_zps0b5fb5e6.jpg

S14 crossmember in,

20141225_172414_zpsbf262f13.jpg

20141225_173025_zpsa1978a5b.jpg

Thats it for today ;D  Ron

• Like 2

Very interested to see how you build this with your expectation of good handling.  The 620 frame seems to have all the stiffness of a wet lasagna noodle.  When I hit a bump (either straight or in a corner) the whole truck and cab go into a fit for a few seconds before settling back down again.

I'm curious what kind of frame stiffening must be done to get any real benefit from modern sports car suspension.

--carter

Going to be stiffer than a similar year car. I find the box frame rots along the horizontal weld on the inside of the truck where it isn't noticed. That and they rot from the inside out. If the body is all over, I bet the mounts are rotted off and cab held on by the steering column.

• Like 2

I must admit Ron, chassis fabrication is well above my pay grade, and I won't even offer my amateur advice here. I am exited to watch your process though. Glad to hear your building a low cage, and I'm sure it will go a long way in stiffening the intended flexibility of your 620s chassis. Witch brings me to my first question. What brought you to perform your magic on a Datsun truck... in Denmark? Is there a scene there, or are you a maverick with a few loose screws? 

I know your holding off installing the Black Top until you get it back on all four, but I'm dying to here what your plans are. The s13 is something I do know a bit about. I built an Auto Cross 510 with the same motor you have there. Coxing 300bhp out of an SR is not a tough trick, but there are some modifications that will need to be done. I'm interested in hearing what you have in the works.

All the best,

Ron M.

• Like 1

Im just a nutter... I love old cars, and sometimes I just get an idea to do something, and well there i am grinding up an old datsun.. The car wont be build for anything specific, I will take it to some streetevents and shows, but nothing serius, If it runs good, I will use it as a daily.

Right now the plan is to keep the engine stock untill the truck runs and everything works. after that Im not sure what kind of power im going with, i think around 300 bhp will be fine.

Today I got the caliper brackets designed in cad, but we diden have any aluminium to make them out of, might have a test on monday :D

Ron

Im just a nutter... I love old cars, and sometimes I just get an idea to do something, and well there i am grinding up an old datsun.. The car wont be build for anything specific, I will take it to some streetevents and shows, but nothing serius, If it runs good, I will use it as a daily.

Right now the plan is to keep the engine stock untill the truck runs and everything works. after that Im not sure what kind of power im going with, i think around 300 bhp will be fine.

Today I got the caliper brackets designed in cad, but we diden have any aluminium to make them out of, might have a test on monday :D

Ron

Careful revealing your CAD capabilities around here. 

• Like 1

We can pretend it is monday?

Ive been away for some days to celebrate new year, but things have happend with the truck. I now have some kind of picture on how im going to fabricate the stiffning of the rearend, without going too high.

My Frontbrakes are done! they are 355 mm 370z rotors and Audi rs6 8 piston calipers, and a custom bracket. i will need 18" wheels for them. any ideas for rims?

20150102_093412_zpsc3c01cb2.jpg

20150101_170802_zps5a1e684c.jpg

I fitted the engine in the subframe.. that wasent really what i expected.. the engine sat about 15 cm inside the cabin, so I ended up moving the engine 10 cm forward and cut i tiny bit out of the cabin :O I also spliced up the tunnel and gave it some love.

20141228_095307_zpsdf244860.jpg

20141228_134859_zps7fba1a88.jpg

20141228_133720_zpsb303a3e7.jpg

As for the rearend, ive made quite a bit of progress, i now need some steel in order to make the extra stiffning, and an axel hoop/exhaust tubing holes.

20141228_180138_zps36cb17ea.jpg

20141228_180201_zps4f521997.jpg

20150102_121300_zpsb19ad162.jpg

Ron

• Like 1

Your brake adapter turner out slicker than snot on a door nob man. Nice work. Must be a blast to have that kind of power at your fingertips. Look like it took some serious effort get  get that SR stuff up in there. It's hard to tell in the photo, but do you have room for a rad, inter cooler and a fan in there? Looks tight.

Love seeing that fat ass R200, and IR suspension sitting under there, makes me So damned pissed I didn't take metal shop instead of wood shop in high school. I've always wanted to build a single ball joint trailing arm rear suspension for the 510. I've fiddled around with some designs, but turns out it's way more sophisticated than my ability. Keep up the hood work and Please keep posting.

New fanboy 

Ron M.

Your brake adapter turner out slicker than snot on a door nob man. Nice work. Must be a blast to have that kind of power at your fingertips. Look like it took some serious effort to get that SR stuff up in there. It's hard to tell in the photo, but do you have room for a rad, inter cooler and a fan in there? Looks tight.

Love seeing that fat ass R200, and IR suspension sitting under there, makes me So damned pissed I didn't take metal shop instead of wood shop in high school. I've always wanted to build a single ball joint trailing arm rear suspension for the 510. I've fiddled around with some designs, but turns out it's way more sophisticated than my ability. Keep up the hood work and Please keep posting.

New fanboy 

Ron M.

• Like 1

The brackets were quite simple to make, it took me and a mate (operator) 2-3 hours and a couple of tests bits :D

Made some progress on both the rear and frontend. i had to redo the frontsubframe, it was 20 mm too far back, somewere i measured somthing wrong. no hard feeling, just hard work!

This however gives me a bit more room for my steering system.

As far as room for a cooler/intercooler, it is a tight fit, I will need some slimfit fans and chop a bit in the frontend. im pretty sure I can make it fit in there, the upper wateroutlet will also need modifications.

20150104_180539_zpse000ae51.jpg

20150104_180525_zpsf82e1941.jpg

20150104_180424_zps74925e05.jpg

Im not done stiffning the frame, more will come! 

Ron

The water neck should be pretty simple for you. The Mckinney aftermarket neck is what I used. Short & sweat design.

Mckinneywterneck.jpg

Shoehorning that SR in there along with power steering and all, I'll bet space is at a premium everywhere. If you're sticking with the stock bottom mount exhaust manifold, I would image the down pipe is going to be a bit of a trick too. Starts turning into a chess match after a while.