520 things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bronzit

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found a stock height Datsun 521 pretty easy to drive in the snow.   Driving in the snow, in my mind is driving off road.  Number one rule of driving off road, "Weight is your enemy".  Datsun pickups are pretty light.

When driving in possibly icy conditions, the steering gets light, or feels different.  This is your warning that it is getting icy.  You can downshift to lightly brake the rear tires, and that leaves front tire traction for steering.  Of course, do not be stupid.

I do not put extra weight in the back.   Remember number one rule.   The weight may help you go, but when you want to stop, the weight is exactly what you do not need.

Now, with a lowered truck, you have to be careful.  Much greater chance of getting high centered, especially if the snow is deep enough to leave ruts.   Another issue, with a Datsun pickup, the truck is narrower, and so are the wheels.  This may be a problem, or it may be an advantage, depending on where you drive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose if anyone is interested in trading/buying my rears, I'd be interested.

I only need a pair for my rears and I'm looking for something cool. Something 15x8ish and not so much negative offset as this. -10 or so max. 

Just throwing it out there. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...