Ratsun.net is not a Forum. It's an Addiction!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, retuning to the thread topic,

"Ratsun.net is not a Forum. It's an Addiction!",

Here's my side if the story: I've been posting here a lot lately in diff threads because I've been taking interest in the forum lately due to a bit of spare time. I actually find it more productive than played-out Fbook. Which, I actually never took the interest of creating an actual account for myself. Here, is more of a family and the love of Dat ride, which many of us have in common. And, it's been somewhat of a fun addiction that I've been checking up on things here throughout my days. So long live Ratsun.net, maaaaing!

^Wow!!! Heheheh. No kidding!

Them, having the same looks for decades, without changing HAS indeed become one of the big shockers for me. It's actually really funny but at the same time, true.

I've seen one as late as that 2012 and it had the exact look as the 1980's one (and all the ones after that) and it looked really nice and well built! It even had EFI! Built strong, overall but did not see if they had ever fixed the front suspension issue, though.

Really sweet pics. Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

The  V W Beetle was similar. Small improvements every year but the body wasn't changed a lot. The outside is susceptible to damage so finding a 20- year older fender that interchanges to your '66 is really nice. Wasn't there a cab company that built cabs that the front left fender would fit the rear right? Same the other side? The headlight/tail light would make the difference. They never changed from year to year and everything swapped. Cab companies just swap from a wrecked one to a current damaged one and keep going. Used a reliable chevy six and power train. Cars would last half a million miles, often longer.

• Like 1

Some of the early Checkers might have had interchangable fenders. I know the early '50's Studebaker pickups used fenders that were used on front and rear (driver's side front fender was the same as the passenger's side rear fender, etc.) 

Checker themselves practically never changed.

3727761333_d82b4ac401_z.jpg

'56 Model

7714332036_7bfe01e2b4_z.jpg

Later model, after they'd switched to quad headlights.

Checker_Taxi_1.jpg

Even later model, with the federally mandated "cowcatcher" bumpers.

Same basic car from 1956, in production all the way up to 1982.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Many years ago there was a company called the Modular Car Company here in I believe Redondo Beach CA.  They reassembled VWs from whatever parts they could get.  Every major piece interchanged so what you got was a shell from 1 year, a pan from another year, a pair of matching front fenders and another pair of matching rear fenders.  They would test drive them on Aviation Boulevard before investing any money in paint.  Those multicolored vehicles were indeed a sight!  My kids called them "Spaghetti Cars".

Many years ago there was a company called the Modular Car Company here in I believe Redondo Beach CA.  They reassembled VWs from whatever parts they could get.  Every major piece interchanged so what you got was a shell from 1 year, a pan from another year, a pair of matching front fenders and another pair of matching rear fenders.  They would test drive them on Aviation Boulevard before investing any money in paint.  Those multicolored vehicles were indeed a sight!  My kids called them "Spaghetti Cars".

The early VOLKSWATSUNS?!!

Lol!!!!!!!!!!