Grille and Head Light swap

jmspep

APPARENTLY the search hasn't been working but I am wondering if someone has a mach or a step by step on how to swap for the 620 look. (Round headlights bezel grille and such) if some one could point me off in the correct direction that would be helpful. Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is one on ebay, but you will have to make a custom headlight bucket assembly as the headlights are a weird distance apart, just over 170mm, all I was able to find at the time was 160mm or 180mm, but I had the choice of buying the buckets with the grill, so I spent the extra for a bolt in.

BTW, I got the only left or right side bucket assembly remaining, he had 3 of one side, and one of the other side, but since then I have decided that they will work on either side, just not sure about headlight adjustment issues with one being in upside down.

Here is a guy in Mexico that has the aftermarket type grill(black).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-Pick-Up-Truck-720-1980-1981-Front-Grill-/221212655807?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3A720&hash=item33814d40bf&vxp=mtr

I bought my grill/buckets from this member below, and had the parts shipped from Saudi Arabia, it wasn't cheap.

http://community.ratsun.net/user/13785-skyc110/

Another thing to keep in mind is that these round headlight grills are made for 80-82 Datsun 720 years, the 83 on 720 had a taller grill, so if you have an 83, you will need to change the front sheet metal and marker lights, and use the higher headlight bucket mount holes in your radiator core support, and for it to look proper, you should find a early bumper.

DSCN1459.JPG

DSCN0808.JPG

Wayno, I put a 720 harness in my 620 and had to convert  to round head lamps. It's easy enough to swap the wires in the plug around.

I just make the pigtails, on the 520, one doesn't wire to the headlight anyway, as there is a plug connection on the inner fender.

DSCN3685.JPG

I used the stock 520 plug for the pigtail, but I just realized something, on the 520 I actually cut the 720 plug off and used butt connectors, but I left the rubber piece, I wonder why, all the other trucks I didn't cut anything, very strange.

I could not get a photo of the 720 pigtails, to much turbo shit in the way, it's easier to remove the grill and headlights to get a photo, than to move shit out of the way in the engine compartment to get a photo. :lol:

Just a quick question. It might be on here somewhere and I'm just blind but if I got a grille from a 4x4 version it would fit right onto my rwd right? 86 720. Like the 4x4 grille better just wondering if I got one would it go right on?

It should, an 80-82 4X4 grill will not fit an 83+ without changing the sheet metal to the earlier type.

All later grills should interchange, they just might not match the marker lights unless you change them also.

It should, an 80-82 4X4 grill will not fit an 83+ without changing the sheet metal to the earlier type.

All later grills should interchange, they just might not match the marker lights unless you change them also.

Thanks. I may have to pick one up. Love the look of them.