Which oil to use?

jboulukos

I'm getting ready to change my motor oil and I'm interested to find out what you guys are using and what suggestions you may have.  I have a 1978 B210 automatic with 150K miles on it.  I drive it in weather between 50-90 degrees.  What motor oil would you suggest, be specific.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Delo also has a higher zinc content than most present day oils. The higher zinc is more desirable for our flat tappet cams(doesn't wear them down like most conventional oils do), as many present day oils have reduced the content. I run Delo 15w-40 in all my Datsuns.

• Like 2

Thanks Gents! 

Is it the one below?

Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40

Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 is a premium quality engine oil designed for pre-2007 engines and higher sulfur fuels (> 500 ppm sulfur). With exceptional soot dispersancy and wear control, Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 protects cylinders, pistons, rings, and injectors against wear and corrosion, providing optimum service life and minimal maintenance.

Thanks Gents!  Is it the one below?   Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40

Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 is a premium quality engine oil designed for pre-2007 engines and higher sulfur fuels (> 500 ppm sulfur). With exceptional soot dispersancy and wear control, Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 protects cylinders, pistons, rings, and injectors against wear and corrosion, providing optimum service life and minimal maintenance.

That's the one.

30 non detergent is bad unless your engine is a bypass filtration job, but most of those went away in the 50's.

It's a little heavy cold, but even the owners manual allows for it.

I run diesel oil (15w-40) or castrol gtx 20-50 and a shot of moly

30W is OK in SoCal.  Most 30W today are API SN rated, though, so are simply the 30W version of normal multiweight.  But, have the same low ZDDP levels which is "fine" for roller cam engines but not so great for wiper cams (which the L series and A series both are).    I say "fine" in quoted because the extreme low ZDDP oils haven't been around long enough to see the effect they have on modern enginesm though the effect on flat tappet cam systems is well known.

One of the guys I knew in the Navy used straight 30 and his explanation was that multiweight oil is simply the "light" weight with gelling agents to make the oil heavier when hot.  Those break down faster than the oil does, so it turns into the low viscosity oil (10W 30 would become 10W after a few thousand miles).  I don't know if that's true, but I can say that most modern "SN" rated oil I've had is like water.  Especially after it's been in the engine 4000 miles.

One of the guys I knew in the Navy used straight 30 and his explanation was that multiweight oil is simply the "light" weight with gelling agents to make the oil heavier when hot.  Those break down faster than the oil does, so it turns into the low viscosity oil .

thats why i like the 30w. ive tries 20w50 and the 15 40 once but i feel like the 30 stays thicker longer

30 non detergent is bad unless your engine is a bypass filtration job, but most of those went away in the 50's.

It's a little heavy cold, but even the owners manual allows for it.

I run diesel oil (15w-40) or castrol gtx 20-50 and a shot of moly

i tried non detergent once then drained it once i found out what it was for

I've been sending my oil in and the metallurgy content has been low for a 90s enging let alone a tired 70s engine. I'm running sm-sn spec. I don't think I've ever seen an old Datsun or Toyota cam go flat. Seen a lot of domestics go though.....

I also use 10w30.  Just because I think the 30 would circulate easier when cold, and 10 seems to be enough to lubricate an engine that shouldn't rev over 6k, ideally.  I would use 20w50 but the 50 seems just too think.  I like the 20w while hot so it won't burn as easily, but I feel the 10w30 is enough.  I also use Mystery Oil to replace a quart.  I read this really helps engines that used to use a lead based fuel, which my B was capable of.  I will try to do more research on the zinc and lead levels, and all of the abbreviations used in this thread.  Thanks guys!

I use 10W-30 Valvoline. Datsun A-series engines don't have cam problems with regular oils.

Overhead cam like the L series with rockers directly operated by the cam can't be that different than the A series with flat tappets. At least where wear is concerned.