What am I doing wrong? Dropped oil pump to set timing...

240Z

L24

ZX Matchbox

Turns out the PO or someone that previously worked on it for him was a total retard. 

My dizzy was off a tooth, so I dropped the oil pump to correct it and set timing, and now I feel like I'm doing something wrong or missing a step...

Set the pump shaft to match the dots on pump shaft and pump with cyl 1 @TDC.

temporary_zps6802120a.jpg

oilpumpshaft2.jpg

Pulled all the wires and re-installed in the correct positions (length) 

Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4 Counter Clockwise

Puts NO.1 right here...

temporary_zpsa321d525.jpg

temporary_zps5cb619a2.jpg

Can't get it to run correct now, back firing out the carb and shit... timing must be uber retarded like the PO.

Maxed out the advance on the dizzy and it's still nowhere close. The second adjustment screw on the bottom is hitting the pedstal. 

temporary_zpsf7d6f80c.jpg

Only thing I can guess is that the PO or whoever put on the matchbox used the points pedstal (also had points cap/rotor on it.. wtf) and the ear prevents me from getting the proper amount of advance.

Am I right or am I missing something? This is my first time playing with an L series like this...never had to before. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps your module took a poop?  If you hit full throttle, will it respond?  Other than that, I'd say you're off a tooth.  Or, the other more likely possibility is the previous owner didn't get the holes lined up and you're off a tooth on the drive spindle.  Put back at No.1 tdc and check to make sure rotor is about 1/4" in front (to the left) of No. 1 spark plug hole on cap.  You did wire it counter clockwise right?

Oh, the other thing, did you set it at TDC or BDC?  Maybe you had it 180 out on the crank mark?  Are you sure the piston was up and not down?  Pull a spark plug and use a screwdriver to poke down the hole and verify this.

Pretty sure it's regular, I don't see the plug extension sticking out the side in the pics.  I'm going for off a tooth on the drive spindle or 180 degrees out because the previous owner didn't line up the drive spindle correctly.  Or MM had it on bottom dead center when he took it out.

1291718-imma_let_you_finish20.jpg

Now Imma let you finish buuut..

Motor was running

You changed it, and now its not.

you call the PO a retard? 

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww shit

Trollathon commencing.

Can't get it to run correct now, back firing out the carb and shit... timing must be uber retarded like the PO.

Maxed out the advance on the dizzy and it's still nowhere close. The second adjustment screw on the bottom is hitting the pedstal. 

JK Matt. Love you dog, just had to do it for the lulz....  I'm sure it's something simple and you'll have it figured out in no time.

EJECT.jpg

Come one guys, have faith. It was at TDC compression stroke. I'm no newb. Had a spark plug out, and watched for the timing table on the crank to come around, checked valves on cyl 1 both fully closed.

its a 2 prong E12-80 module.

the main issue in having is that I'm running way retarded on timing. Its got a points pedestal on it with an EI dizzy, and has a lobe on the back of the pedestal that the dizzy is hitting so I'm not reaching full advance. That's why PO had it off a tooth before, which is why he's retarded.

if it was timed on the exhaust stroke the rotor would be pointed the opposite way.

Well, here's a couple things to try:

1) instead of having it fully advanced on the adjusters, fully retard it and move the wires one position over.

2) Flip the timing plate upside down and reposition the distributor (that worked for my 4-cyl)

3) Start hunting for the right pedestal.

• Like 2

Its got a points pedestal on it with an EI dizzy, and has a lobe on the back of the pedestal that the dizzy is hitting so I'm not reaching full advance. That's why PO had it off a tooth before, which is why he's retarded.

Always keep any dizzy and pedestal together as a set. Move the spindle one tooth and you'll be able to have more timing movement.

PO was a 'tard. It was running but 'good' was subjective... Just enough to get me back and forth to work.

It was breaking up anytime you tried to rev past 4000 RPM. And lets be honest... it's not fun driving a Z slow. I want to dial the carbs in better, but the timing needs to be dead on ball accurate first. 

PO had it running good enough, but you couldn't quite get it within the right 'realm' of adjustment one tooth off. I got it there now, for the time being until I get a new pedestal to match the dizzy. 

IMO, it's so easy to fix it the right way, why take short cuts? I cheated a little, but I'm going to get a new pedestal.